hark Tank may be TV's most brutal show. Where else can you see people enter a room full of business moguls after having spent all their money and years of their life trying to make their dream into a reality, only to have their hopes dashed to the ground? It's pretty brutal...but also so, so watchable.
Here are 10 fascinating facts about the show.
1. Each contestant has to meet with a psychiatrist.
As soon as the entrepreneurs are done filming, they’re whisked away to meet with a psychiatrist to make sure they’re OK. Some contestants can take the Sharks’ rejection pretty hard, so this is a precautionary measure ensure everyone is taken care of.
2. The hallway leading to the Sharks' tank is slightly angled to create an optical illusion.
The end of the hallway closest to the tank is slightly wider than the entrance. This is to give contestants the feeling of growing smaller as they get closer to the sharks. That way, they’re more intimidated.
3. Once you're in the room, you have to remain silent for up to a full minute.
Producers have contestants do an intense “stare-down” with the Sharks where neither party is allowed to say a word.
Talk about awkward!
4. Most of the on-air deals don't actually go through.
Contestants who are able to charm the sharks don’t necessarily have it made in the shade. Approximately 2/3 of the deals that the entrepreneurs and Sharks agree on don’t actually come to fruition.
5. Sometimes the deal doesn't go through because the contestant lied about their company's finances.
However, Mark Cuban has said that most of the deals that fall through are actually due to the contestants dropping out; not the Sharks.
So how much do the Sharks actually know about the people who are pitching to them? Not as much as you’d think, actually…