6. The hands you see drawing Rose's portrait don't actually belong to Leonardo DiCaprio.
In fact, they’re the hands of James Cameron!
Is there anything that guy can’t do?
7. In the scene where Cal and Rose have coffee together, actor Billy Zane's table flip was completely ad-libbed.
Obviously, Kate Winslet wasn’t expecting the table she was at to be flipped.
Her surprised reaction is completely genuine.
8. Later, Kate Winslet spits in Cal's face. This was Winslet's idea.
The script originally called for Rose to stab Cal with a hairpin. The spit really takes it to the next level, right?
In the scene where Jack teaches Rose how to spit, the actors used egg whites instead of actual saliva. For this scene, however, petroleum jelly was used. According to Billy Zane, they had to do so many retakes of Winslet spitting on his face that eventually, it didn’t faze him at all.
9. Jack shouting, "I'm king of the world!" was yet another ad-libbed line.
In 2007, Premiere voted that line #4 in its list of 100 Greatest Movie Lines.
We can totally see why.
10. On the final night of shooting, someone dosed the clam chowder that was served to the entire cast and crew with PCP.
80 people became ill and more than 50 were hospitalized due to hallucinations. When James Cameron realized he had been drugged, he forced himself to vomit. Bill Paxton reported feeling listless for a full two weeks after the incident. The person (or people) who laced the clam chowder have never been identified.
Next up: the hidden detail behind the film’s run-time.