An eleven-year-old boy has been commended after he rescued all 4 of his siblings from their home when a fire broke out.
Brody Sims has been praised after his house caught fire and he rushed to make sure his siblings were safe.
A fire started in the kitchen of the Sims family home on December 5th, but fortunately, Brody knew exactly what to do.
Speaking with NBC affiliate WSMV, Brody explained that his mom and dad had prepared him with what to do if there was ever a house fire.
“My mom and dad told us, if there was a fire, to grab everyone and run out of the house and call 911,” he said, and that’s exactly what Brody did.
According to a GoFundMe page set up by Brody’s aunt, Hannah Sims, Brody “bravely rushed his 4 siblings out of the house,” while his sister phoned for help.
“All you could see was just smoke coming out,” Brody told the outlet. “I was just standing right here, and my sister called 911.”
Hannah explained on the fundraising page that Brody “ran past the fire to get his 2-year-old brother, who was in a bedroom in the back of the house.”
Thankfully, Brody was successful in retrieving his younger brother and all of his siblings left the house safely.
Sadly, the Sim’s family home was destroyed by the fire along with all of their belongings.
On the fundraiser set up to “get the kids toys and clothes to make their holiday season full of cheer,” Hannah wrote: “Their house is completely destroyed, along with most of their belongings, including awards their dad got while in the army as well as the kids’ toys and clothes. This tragedy has struck their family right before the holidays.”
Speaking of the incident, Brody’s mom, Kimberly Sims, told the outlet: “It was just kind of surreal. I’m just really thankful the kids have been trained what to do in emergencies. We’re unbelievably proud.”
Brody added that he “did what any big brother would do.”
Well done, Brody!