Back in the days before the wheel had been invented, it probably wasn't too difficult to create something that impressed people. All you had to was pick up a twig and BAM! You invented a toothpick!
These days, new products are designed every single day (some of them being total fails, of course). Most of the objects you interact with on a daily basis may have been novel at one point in time, but are now completely ordinary. The inventors of 2018 have to work extra hard to impress the people around them. Here are 15 inventions and ideas that are so incredible, they'll make you wonder why they don't exist everywhere:
1. This shirt with a built-in eyeglass-cleaning device.
via: RedditIt can also be used as a phone screen wiper. Or, if you're particularly flexible and have a lot of time on your hands, a cloth to clean your car windows.
2. This pill bottle that tells you how long it's been since you opened it:
via: RedditWhen you're sick, your brain probably isn't functioning at full capacity. Take the guesswork out of your dose times with this brilliant gadget!
3. These signs in Australia:
via: RedditApparently, some Australian roads are so long and boring that there are signs with trivia questions on them to keep your brain engaged. You know, if you're not too busy worrying about all the animals that can kill you there.
4. This printer can be found in airports:
via: RedditIt prints short stories for you to read while you wait for your flight! If that's not the most delightful thing that's ever been in an airport, I just don't know what is.
5. This dog-friendly staircase:
via: RedditHey, stairs are tricky! As a general rule, any time you can make your dog's life easier, you should do exactly that. Goodness knows they've done enough for you, right? And speaking of making life easier...
6. This bathroom stall has a groove the door fits into.
via: RedditWhy? To eliminate that awkward gap between the door and the wall! Looking for another brilliant bathroom invention? Look no further!
7. This mirror is heated so it won't fog up while you're in the shower.
via: RedditIf you can't find a heated mirror, you can also apparently use shaving cream to defog your mirror. Bet you didn't know you'd get amazing lifehacks from this list! But ya did!
8. This spatula has a little stand so you don't get food on your counter.
via: RedditSure, there are already things called spoon rests, but if you use one, you have to clean your spoon and the spoon rest! This requires fewer dishes. And any invention that requires fewer dishes is an invention I can support with my whole heart.
9. These shopping baskets solve the problem of overzealous store employees asking whether you need help:
via: ImgurI can't imagine anyone ever using the "I need help" baskets, but I'm glad they exist nonetheless. Now if only they'd make those self-checkout machines easier to use.
10. These room numbers are created by shadows.
via: RedditOK, so this isn't exactly a life-changing invention, but you have to admit it is very cool. But there might be a life-changing invention inside the hotel room...
11. This hotel provides easy access to the USB or HDMI ports.
via: ImgurAnd if you look closely at the tag, you'll see that the hotel also lends out HDMI cables in case you forgot to pack your own. This is truly going above and beyond.
12. This newspaper has two pages of wrapping paper included.
via: RedditAnd if you're having a hard time coming up with the perfect gift, might I recommend a subscription to the newspaper? I know. Yet another great idea, right?
13. This toothpaste lists all its ingredients, where each ingredient comes from, and what it does.
via: RedditHow many times have you brushed your teeth without even considering what was actually in your toothpaste? Wonder no more!
14. This dog toy comes apart to reveal a sadder version of itself inside.
via: RedditAm I a terrible person if I love the sad cactus just a little bit more than the happy cactus? It's just so cute!
15. This coffee shop is doing its part in eliminating beach litter.
via: RedditThey even provide the buckets! Not only is your coffee free; you also get the sense of satisfaction of doing the right thing. This is genius all around.