Heartbreaking reports say that 4 more bodies have been found in the rubble of the collapsed Miami condo, bringing the death toll up to sixteen.

Last week the condo, situated in the Miami Beach area, partially collapsed leaving 147 people unaccounted for, NBC News reports.

The most recent bodies to be found were discovered Tuesday night as crews tirelessly searched through the wreckage. The 4 victims' relatives have not yet been identified.

According to Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah, as per NBC News, human remains were found in addition to the 4 bodies.

The collapse of the condo is to be investigated by a grand jury, Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said in a statement.

"My office has a long tradition of presenting more than just criminal cases to the Grand Jury," she said.

"Our Grand Juries have also served as a cross-section of the community to evaluate matters of health and public safety."

"I plan to request that our Grand Jury look at what steps we can take to safeguard our residents without jeopardizing any scientific, public safety, or potential criminal investigations."

Getty

Since the building came down last week rescue teams have not stopped removing rubble, searching for other residents.

More than 200 are working on what authorities are still calling a search and rescue operation.

"I have been overwhelmed by the heroics of the first responders who have labored tirelessly to save lives," Rundle added in her statement.

There have been many question marks over the tragedy, with people left wondering how such a disaster occurred.

More and more details have come to light about the building, such as researchers suggesting that it was deemed unsafe quite some time ago, as well as a commercial pool contractor spotting the 'lack of maintenance' on the lower level just 36 hours before it fell.

"There was standing water all over the parking garage," the commercial pool contractor told the Miami Herald.

"I wonder if this was going on in other parts of the building and caused this collapse."

The unnamed worker took pictures of the suspicious pool pump area.

Mohammad Ehsani, an engineer and concrete restoration expert who reviewed the contractor's pictures, said: "You can see extensive corrosion of the rebars at the bottom of the beam. That is very serious.

"If the condition of the beam in the pool guy's photo is something that was also happening under the building, that is a really major concern."

Our deepest thoughts and condolences go out to those who have been affected by this terrible accident.