Alec Baldwin Issues Shocking Statement Following Fatal ‘Rust’ Shooting

Share on Facebook

Alec Baldwin has just issued a fresh statement in the wake of the fatal shooting of Halyna Hutchins and what he had to say has shocked everyone.

It’s safe to say, none of us were expecting this…

  via Getty Images  

Scroll on for the details…

Now, it all started when Alec Baldwin got hold of a “prop” gun that contained live rounds.

The sixty-three-year-old was using a gun prop on the set of the American Western film, Rust, when he fired a round of blanks that killed cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, as well as wounded the director of the film, Joel Souza.

Souza was immediately rushed to hospital where he received treatment for his injuries.

He was taken to Christus St Vincent Regional Medical Center for further examinations.

Hutchins was taken to the University of New Mexico Hospital, but died when she got there.

The forty-two-year-old was transported to the location via helicopter but before she could undergo life-saving treatment, she succumbed to her injuries.

Rust was being filmed at the Bonanza Creek ranch just outside of Santa Fe when the incident occured on Thursday.

Santa Fe police deputies were called to the scene after Baldwin had misfired the prop during a scene.

Later on, in a statement, the authorities confirmed the details.

As per the Independent, the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s office said that the pair were shot when a prop firearm was discharged by Baldwin, who is the producer and actor for the new film, which, ironically, is about an accidental killing.

A Santa Fe sheriff spokesman also confirmed in a statement to AFP news, that Baldwin had willingly spoken to detectives.

“He came in voluntarily and he left the building after he finished his interviews,” the spokesman said.

Photos taken after he had spoken to authorities showed him visibly distraught.

Before the incident, Baldwin himself had posted to his Instagram in a now-removed post, emphasizing how “exhausting” the process has been.

Showing a snapshot of himself dressed in a Western outfit, he captioned the photo: “Back to in person at the office. Blimey…it’s exhausting.”

It has been taken down now.

So far, no charges have been filed and filming has been postponed.

But people have been having mixed opinions on the issue.

Some have suggested that Baldwin be charged with manslaughter.

“Hopefully Alec Baldwin gets manslaughter at the very least. But knowing the Democrats and their penchant for protecting criminals, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets off with 10 hours of community service…

If that,” film producer, Errol Webber wrote.

However, Webber was heavily slammed in his comment section for making things “political.”

Others have added that the person in charge of handling props should take the fall…

However, most people are focussed on the victims of the tragic incident as tributes have been pouring in for Halyna Hutchins, who lost her life as an outcome.

Before her untimely death, she even posted a video taken on the set of the movie.

The forty-two-year-old was riding horses on her day off. Alongside the clip, she added the caption: “One of the perks of shooting a western is you get to ride horses on your day off:)”

  via Instagram  

Fellow actors, and industry professionals, as well as fans, have been leaving messages for the late director.

American film producer, James Cullen Bressack wrote: “I will miss you my friend…. This is devastating.”

Alec Baldwin has broken his silence on the matter.

In a statement, he told people that he is “fully co-operating with the police.”

His full statement reads: “There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother, and deeply admired colleague of ours. I’m fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred and I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family. My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna.”

Director Joel Souza has also spoken out about the tragic moment that the shooting took place.

As per the Independent, Souza recalled the moment in an affidavit released by the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office on October 24th.

In the document, Souza described hearing a loud pop on Baldwin’s final reach for the gun.

He reportedly said that he vaguely remembers Hutchins grabbing her waist before stumbling backward. Hutchins is then said to have complained of a stomach ache.

Over the past few weeks, new information has been shared revealing that there were instances that caused crew members to leave the set even before the fatal shot was fired.

As per the Independent, sources revealed that “camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints about long hours, long commutes and collecting their paychecks… safety protocols standard in the industry, including gun inspections, were not strictly followed on the Rust set.”

Gun inspections, which should have been made by twenty-four-year-old head armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, were clearly neglected on set…

Which resulted in multiple accidental shots being fired by prop guns days before Hutchins was shot.

According to the Los Angeles Times, sources revealed that complaints about gun safety on set had been made prior to her death as crew members were apparently “concerned about 2 accidental prop gun discharges” just days before.

It turns out, Baldwin’s stunt double fired 2 live rounds by mistake, after being told there was no live ammunition loaded into the gun.

A crew member told the Times: “There should have been an investigation into what happened. There were no safety meetings. There was no assurance that it wouldn’t happen again. All they wanted to do was rush, rush, rush.”

The risk of having guns on a movie set has become extremely clear…

This is why Baldwin is now urging that a safety measure be put in place.

But some people aren’t sure about his suggestion…

  via Facebook  

  via Facebook  

  via Facebook  

  via Facebook  

  via Facebook  

Baldwin took to social media to call for police officers to monitor “weapon safety” on set.

In a tweet he wrote: “Every film/TV set that uses guns, fake or otherwise, should have a police officer on set, hired by the production, to specifically monitor weapons safely.”

Do you agree that police officers should be on set?