The latest enforced shutdown as a result of COVID-19 might be the most shocking yet.
The latest in a long line of coronavirus shutdowns has shocked the internet.
via: ShutterstockLos Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti just addressed the public with his Safer at Home Emergency Order - which was quickly echoed by California Governor, Gavin Newsom.
The world is currently in an incredibly turbulent time.The deadly coronavirus, or COVID-19, as medical experts are referring to it, has taken our planet hostage, and is showing no signs of letting go anytime soon.
Over 200,000 people have now been infected with the virus.
via: Getty225,327, to be precise. And, tragically, a staggering 9,276 more have reportedly died from the illness.
And, here in the States, we aren't faring much better.Since the first confirmed case of the virus in Washington in February, the numbers have risen to 9,464 across the full country, and a further 155 have died.
Several cities have declared states of emergencies...And a number of different states have been forced to close their restaurants and bars in an attempt to prevent any further spread of the virus.
World leaders have been scrambling to find a solution to the outbreak for months now...
via: GettyBut our own President has taken a little bit longer to consider the pandemic as a serious threat.
Trump has remained valiantly confident in America's resilience to the virus.In January, just after the initial COVID-19 outbreak, he was quizzed on his thoughts on the virus, in which he replied: “It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine."
And, even when the number of COVID-19 cases in America started to climb...He remained calm, and repeatedly stressed that there was nothing to be too worried about.
Trump has persistently fought against the media regarding the pandemic.And, at one point, even dubbed the virus as being a "fake news media" conspiracy.
And, as the months trickled by...President Trump simply wouldn't budge from his stance on the virus and even went on to compare it to the common flu. This was one of his most dangerous and false statements about the virus, and caused plenty of outrage amongst both Americans and people all over the world.
And, the very next day, the President was accused of "lying" to the American public regarding free medical testing.
via: Getty“When people need a test, they can get a test," he said earlier this month. “When the professionals need a test, when they need tests for people, they can get the test. It’s gone really well." However, this certainly wasn't the case, and millions of Americans, to this day, are still struggling to get tested for the virus.
Things needed to change.
via: GettyAnd fast. As the number of coronavirus cases and deaths grew here in the States, people were growing increasingly more concerned with Trump's blaze attitude regarding the pandemic.
But, thankfully, Trump seemed to have a sudden change of heart.
via: GettyOn March 13th, mere days after he compared COVID-19 to the common flu, he finally declared a national emergency.
This move freed up around $50 billion in federal funding...
via: GettyAnd promised a new screening website and more drive-by medical tests.
It seems that now, President Trump is finally taking the pandemic seriously.
In a press conference on Monday, Trump admitted: "We have a problem that a month ago nobody ever thought about."
In presser, Trump says “we have a problem that a month ago nobody ever thought about.” Trump was first briefed abo… https://t.co/nMe2l4GxN1— Dan Diamond (@Dan Diamond)1584388264.0
The President has been doing some serious backtracking.
And this week insisted that he "felt it was a pandemic long before it was declared a pandemic."
Trump: “I felt it was a pandemic long before it was declared a pandemic.” https://t.co/v3B3UQhbdM— Jan Postma (@Jan Postma)1584463905.0
He has now been sending a very different message to his people...And, like the other world leaders have all been doing, has been encouraging his citizens to band together and support one another.
And he has sent out a message of love and positivity to all those affected by the virus.
"We love them, we're with them, we will not let them down!"
.@realDonaldTrump's message to all Americans: "We love them, we're with them, we will not let them down!" https://t.co/l6Metor1gB— Steve Guest (@Steve Guest)1584551313.0
And now Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti has made an important announcement.
via: Getty ImagesAddressing the public today, he announced an Emergency Safer at Home Order, which enforces a 24-hour lockdown until April 19th.
It mandates the closure of all non-essential businesses, plus limits group interactions to those of ten people or less.
Residents may still leave their homes to buy groceries and medicines, care for loved ones, or take individual walks.
I’m issuing a Safer at Home emergency order — ordering all residents of @LACity to stay inside their homes and imme… https://t.co/cJgAyEN9M8— MayorOfLA (@MayorOfLA)1584665045.0
This order was quickly followed by another from California Governor Gavin Newsom.
via: Getty ImagesHe echoed the same Safer at Home Order, saying: "This is a moment we need to make tough decisions. This is a moment where we need some straight talk and we need to tell people the truth: We need to bend the curve in the state of California." Coronavirus looks set to impact all of our lives - but it seems it's quite a different experience for the rich and famous ...