In recent years, there has been a bizarre trend for online challenges. Remember the Tide Pod challenge? The company ended up having to speak out against the trend, as a worrying number of people decided to film themselves eating these highly dangerous (and undoubtedly disgusting) laundry detergent capsules.

It's clear that these challenges aren't for the weak-hearted. But one that has recently taken the internet by storm looks potentially even more hazardous than the rest - and it's left 3 teens in hospital already.

If there's one thing the internet loves, it's a challenge.

The idea of setting a task that few can complete (but many will enjoy watching) is something fairly unique to the online community.

And there's one area wherein these challenges typically manifest.

That's in the world of millennials.

An fairly early option was the cinnamon challenge.

In this feat, participants had to attempt to swallow a teaspoon of the potent spice without any water.

To be fair, this one was pretty funny.

The challenge was essentially impossible, and so it was basically an excuse to watch people choking and coughing out plumes of powder.

But some challenges have been a little more problematic.

At the beginning of 2019, something called the "Tide Pod Challenge" started creeping up online.

It all started when people noticed something strange.

There was something about the appearance of these laundry detergent pods which many people had found gave them an odd compulsion to consume them.

Many people admitted they shared the fantasy.

It became a meme, sort of playing on our weird compulsions. But then some took it a step further.

Many began sharing viral videos of them eating the pods.

The problem? These detergent filled pouches were extremely dangerous for human consumption - even as a joke.

In fact, things (kind of) got serious.

The official Tide account was forced to take a stand against the challenge in an attempt to protect the health of those searching for 5 minutes of viral fame.

So it's clear these challenges aren't all fun and games.

In fact, when serious health issues could be the result, perhaps it's best sticking to eating things purely for sustenance and enjoyment?

Although you can't convince everyone.

There are many people out there vying for internet attention, and who will go to pretty bizarre lengths to get it.

Even if that means hurting others in the process.

Remember the "skull breaker challenge?"

Yep - it was as treacherous as it sounds!

And it involved kicking inwards at an unsuspecting person as they jump up in the air so they fall onto the back of their heads.

This seemed to be the start of TikTok's most dangerous challenges.

The trend originally started in Spain, where 2 students filmed themselves doing this "harmless" prank to another student. But since then, things have taken a cruel turn.

And this isn't the only TikTok challenge to land teens in the emergency room.

In fact, the latest trend might just be the most dangerous yet.

So far, 3 Texas teens have been hospitalized - and it's reported 1 has even died.

All in the hopes of making some good TikTok content.

The challenge in question?

It involves taking an inordinate amount of the allergy medication, Benadryl.

Why, you may ask?

Well, it can supposedly cause hallucinations, which teens find funny when captured on film.

14-year-old Rebekah was hospitalized after attempting the challenge.

She had a heightened heart rate and was speaking in fractured sentences.

A nurse practitioner at Cook Children’s Medical Center commented on the influx of teens.

"What struck me was that we had 3 teens come in for the same thing in one week. None of these patients were trying to harm themselves. They all said they saw videos on TikTok and were curious to try it," Amber Jewison shared.

The AAPCC issued a warning.

Risking your life just isn't worth it - no matter the quality of content you'll create!

And now Benadryl has spoken out on the challenge.

Johnson & Johnson have said, "The BENADRYL TikTok trend is extremely concerning, dangerous and should be stopped immediately."

"As with any medicine, abuse or misuse can lead to serious side effects with potentially long-lasting consequences, and BENADRYL products should only be used as directed by the label."

"It is our strong recommendation that all medications be kept out of the reach of children at all times."

"We are working with TikTok and our partners to do what we can to stop this dangerous trend."

"Including the removal of content across social platforms that showcase this behavior."

Want more bizarre internet challenges?

Scroll on for the bottlecap challenges, and Steve-O's ... unique take on it.