Benadryl Makers Beg Parents To Beware of New Tiktok Trend After Teen Reportedly Dies

Share on Facebook

In recent years, there has been a bizarre trend for online challenges. Remember the Tide Pod challenge? The company ended up having to speak out against the trend, as a worrying number of people decided to film themselves eating these highly dangerous (and undoubtedly disgusting) laundry detergent capsules.

It’s clear that these challenges aren’t for the weak-hearted. But one that has recently taken the internet by storm looks potentially even more hazardous than the rest – and it’s left 3 teens in hospital already.

The idea of setting a task that few can complete (but many will enjoy watching) is something fairly unique to the online community.

That’s in the world of millennials.

In this feat, participants had to attempt to swallow a teaspoon of the potent spice without any water.

The challenge was essentially impossible, and so it was basically an excuse to watch people choking and coughing out plumes of powder.

At the beginning of 2019, something called the “Tide Pod Challenge” started creeping up online.

There was something about the appearance of these laundry detergent pods which many people had found gave them an odd compulsion to consume them.

It became a meme, sort of playing on our weird compulsions. But then some took it a step further.

The problem? These detergent filled pouches were extremely dangerous for human consumption – even as a joke.

The official Tide account was forced to take a stand against the challenge in an attempt to protect the health of those searching for 5 minutes of viral fame.

In fact, when serious health issues could be the result, perhaps it’s best sticking to eating things purely for sustenance and enjoyment?

There are many people out there vying for internet attention, and who will go to pretty bizarre lengths to get it.

Remember the “skull breaker challenge?”

And it involved kicking inwards at an unsuspecting person as they jump up in the air so they fall onto the back of their heads.

The trend originally started in Spain, where 2 students filmed themselves doing this “harmless” prank to another student. But since then, things have taken a cruel turn.

In fact, the latest trend might just be the most dangerous yet.

All in the hopes of making some good TikTok content.

It involves taking an inordinate amount of the allergy medication, Benadryl.

Well, it can supposedly cause hallucinations, which teens find funny when captured on film.

She had a heightened heart rate and was speaking in fractured sentences.

“What struck me was that we had 3 teens come in for the same thing in one week. None of these patients were trying to harm themselves. They all said they saw videos on TikTok and were curious to try it,” Amber Jewison shared.

Risking your life just isn’t worth it – no matter the quality of content you’ll create!

Johnson & Johnson have said, “The BENADRYL TikTok trend is extremely concerning, dangerous and should be stopped immediately.”

“It is our strong recommendation that all medications be kept out of the reach of children at all times.”

“Including the removal of content across social platforms that showcase this behavior.”

Scroll on for the bottlecap challenges, and Steve-O’s … unique take on it.