Every country – heck, every town – has its scary places. That house everyone's afraid to go to. The town where everyone disappears once daylight comes.
The road no one ever finds their way off. Here are 20 facts about the scariest ones.
1. Suicide Forest
2. Snake IslandSnake Island that's home to extremely ferocious golden lancehead pit vipers.
3. The House That Winchester Built
4. The vortex that eats helicopters
5. The most haunted village in the world
6. The Parisian catacombs
7. The cemetery that guards one of the gates of hell
8. The town filled with dolls
9. The suicide bridge
10. The Door to Hell
11. The lightning lake
12. The horrific hotel
13. The island of death
14. Murder Castle
The space featured soundproof rooms, secret passages and a disorienting maze of hallways and staircases. The rooms were also outfitted with trapdoors over chutes that dropped Holmes’ unsuspecting victims to the building’s basement. The basement was a macabre facility of acid vats, pits of quicklime (often used on decaying corpses) and a crematorium, which the killer used to finish off his victims.