US Capitol Police Officer Charged With Obstruction Related to Jan. 6 Attack

Share on Facebook

A capitol police officer has been charged with obstruction of justice for his involvement in the January 6th attack on the Capitol Building.

Michael Riley, was arrested and charged for obstruction, after he allegedly reached out to a rioter and encouraged them to remove social media posts.

The social media posts allegedly showed the person inside the Capitol, joining in with the storming, ABC News reports.

Riley was not actually on duty at the time of the Capitol Hill riots, and only contacted the person after seeing their images posted to Facebook, an indictment reads.

Riley, an officer with more than twenty-five years of experience, and the individual had not been in contact with each other prior to the riots, the indictment also reads.

It claims that Riley messaged the individual advising that they take down their images as “they are currently investigating.”

“Hey [Person 1], im a capitol police officer who agrees with your political stance,” Riley allegedly wrote. “Take down the part about being in the building they are currently investigating and everyone who was in the building is going to [be] charged. Just looking out!”

The pair then exchanged more messages on January 7th, before the person sent Riley 3 photos inside the Capitol and Riley responded:

“I get it… it was a total sh** show!!! Just wanted to give you a heads up… I’m glad you got out of there unscathed. We had over 50 officers hurt, some pretty bad.

“The only thing I can see is if you went in the building and they have proof you will be charged. You could always articulate that you had nowhere to go, but that’s for court,” the indictment also claims that Riley wrote.

Chief Tom Manager, of the Capitol Police explained in a statement that Riley was placed on leave following the “serious” allegations.

“Obstruction of Justice is a very serious allegation,” the statement reads. “The Department was notified about this investigation several weeks ago. Upon his arrest, the officer was placed on administrative leave pending the completion of the case. The USCP’s Office of Professional Responsibility will then open an administrative investigation.”

Riley, who most recently worked as a K9 tech, appeared in court last week following his arrest for obstruction of justice.

He did not enter a plea deal while in court and was released on conditions which included him removing firearms from his house, the news outlet reports.