The Bachelor star Colton Underwood opened up about his sexuality live on Good Morning America last week...
And it seems people aren't happy with what he had to say.
Since he opened up, past accusations have come to light and thousands have signed a petition calling for Netflix to terminate a deal they recently made with him.
That's right, the former Bachelor star came out as gay in an exclusive interview with Robin Roberts last Wednesday...
"I've ran from myself for a long time. I've hated myself for a long time," Underwood told Roberts in a pre-taped chat. "And I'm gay. And I came to terms with that earlier this year and have been processing it. And the next step in all of this was sort of letting people know."
"I'm still nervous, but yeah," he continued. "It's been a journey for sure."
Underwood first appeared as a contestant on Becca Kufrin's season of The Bachelorette, the 14th season, in 2018. He made it to Kufrin's final 4.
We then saw the former football star briefly on season 4 of Bachelor in Paradise where he had a fling with Tia Booth...
Underwood was then the lead of season twenty-three of The Bachelor in 2019, where he gave his final rose to contestant Cassie Randolph but chose not to propose to her.
Prior to his time on TV, Underwood dated Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman.
He wrote about their relationship in his 2020 book, The First Time: Finding Myself and Looking for Love on Reality TV.
Following his big interview, Colton has received a lot of backlash...
Especially surrounding talks of his documentary series with Netflix allegedly surrounding his journey as a gay man.
Despite people's initial positive reactions...
It wasn't all positive for Underwood...
My thoughts on this Colton Underwood Netflix deal..abusers don’t deserve the spotlight. Period. Women aren’t just t… https://t.co/ZZDyf27YKz— Hannah Claire (@Hannah Claire)1618505524.0
As many fans of The Bachelor began discussing the allegations his ex, Cassie Randolph had made about their previous relationship.
The two originally met on The Bachelor, but they broke up shortly after...
Randolph ended up filing a domestic violence restraining order against Underwood last September and accused him of sending harassing texts and putting a tracking device on her car.
After reports of him making a documentary came out, a petition on Change.org was launched to cancel it.
"Cassie is a victim of Colton's abuse, and he does not deserve a platform in any way. Regardless of his sexuality, Colton should not be given a platform as a result of his abusive, manipulative, and dangerous behavior," a description on the petition reads.
As of this posting, over 25,500 people have signed the petition.
*inhales* COLTON UNDERWOOD COMING OUT DOES NOT MAKE HIM A CHAMPION OF THE QUEER COMMUNITY OR THE BACHELOR FRANCHISE… https://t.co/q5n4b407AQ— Kenzie Jepperson-Moore (@Kenzie Jepperson-Moore)1618508922.0
The controversy around Colton Underwood's announcement has sparked comments from celebrities who have dealt with similar issues.
NSYNC star Lance Bass, who came out in 2006, believes he's going to have to deal with some harsh criticism.
"He’s definitely going to get a lot of backlash from the community at first. There is a small percentage of the com… https://t.co/kVDILCG72v— Pop Crave (@Pop Crave)1618932085.0
"He's definitely going to get a lot of backlash from the community at first ... There is a small percentage of the community that's just going to not like the fact he came out this way, that he's monetizing the experience," Bass said.
Check out the interview below...
What do you think?
Keep scrolling fro more of the latest celebrity news...