Dog the Bounty Hunter Reveals He Was Hospitalized Because He Had a ‘Broken Heart’

Share on Facebook

Only three months after the death of his wife, Duane Champman (also known as Dog the Bounty Hunter) was rushed to the hospital due to an emergency heart problem at the age of sixty-six.

Dog, who was most recently married to Beth Chapman, has been taking the past three months to cope with his wife’s death. Beth, aged fifty-one, lost her on-going battle with throat and lung cancer on June 26th, 2019. Dog broke the news on Twitter, stating: “It’s 5:32 in Hawaii, this is the time she would wake up to go hike Koko Head mountain. Only today, she hiked the stairway to heaven. We all love you, Beth. See you on the other side.”

Now Dog has released a statement revealing the reason behind his hospital stay.

Read on to learn more about the reality star’s past few months and why he was sent to a Colorado hospital this past weekend.

She was only nineteen years old and Dog was already married, but this didn’t stop the pair from striking up an on-off relationship. They went their separate ways when Beth married her first husband, Keith Barmore, although the marriage ended in divorce.

With the pair both being divorced, they began seeing each other again in 1995 and were eventually married in 2006. The couple had two children together, Bonnie and Garry, and Beth had a daughter, Cecily, from her first marriage.

Dog the Bounty Hunter.

The TV show, Dog the Bounty Hunter, is based on the life and experiences of Duane, who bounty hunts for a living. The pair partnered up to work together shortly after rekindling their relationship, and Beth began starring alongside him as his show grew in popularity. They also created a spin-off show: Dog & Beth: On The Hunt.

Beth and Dog were said to have tracked down over 6,000 criminals and made over $4 million in bonds that they’ve won as a consequence of catching them.

Beth and Dog very quickly became recognized as the brash and outrageously hilarious couple that they have been till the very end. Their constant bickering and disagreeing on the show was entertainment gold, and a lot of married couples felt like they could relate to the relationship that they shared.

She had been diagnosed with stage 2 throat cancer. Despite being told that she was free of the disease only 3 months later, the cancer returned in 2018. This lead to Beth having to endure an emergency operation to remove a mass on her throat.

Despite the operation being a success in removing the mass from Beth’s throat, it was discovered that the cancer had spread to both her throat and her lungs and that it was, unfortunately, incurable.

Somehow, the family managed to come to terms with this tragedy, and Beth wanted nothing more than to spend her last days doing what she did best on America’s Most Wanted. According to Metro, speaking to The Daily Mail in March, Dog said, “My baby has cancer and she is fighting like hell. I’ve cried a lot over this because is my everything.”

After resting at home in recovery from further treatment, Beth was taken to Queen’s Medical Centre in Hawaii after having difficulty breathing. According to reports, she began fighting against the help of doctors and it was understood that she was attempting to remove the tubes that were in place to feed her medication and fluids.

Beth had to be given oxygen in order to breathe when she arrived at the ER. According to TMZ, medics first put her under mild sedation but she quickly fell into a full medically-induced coma.

Despite the tragic news that the cancer was incurable, Beth and her family refused to give up hope. A worldwide surge of support was sent their way and Dog begged his followers via Twitter to keep praying for Beth’s recovery.

On June 25th, Dog tweeted this photograph of Beth’s hand saying, “You know she is all about her nails!” This brought on a huge surge of love and admiration, alongside Dog and Beth’s fanbase sending their thoughts and prayers.

Dog broke the devastating news via Twitter, announcing the passing of his wife.

Dog’s emotional announcement has already captured the hearts of the world, with millions of messages of condolence and support being sent to the family. According to Metro, the family sends out their sincere thanks to everyone for their prayers throughout Beth’s battle with cancer.

— Bonnie Chapman (@Bonniejoc) 1561592956.0

Bonnie shared an image of Beth’s beloved Mercedes covered in flowers, which they had parked out of the view of reporters to honor her memory.

Dog and Beth were inseparable, so fans have understandably been concerned for the star’s welfare since Beth’s passing.  

Speaking to Entertainment Tonight, Dog opened up about his struggles getting back into a routine without Beth by his side. “I haven’t gotten past the place where I’m [not] putting a pillow where she was and covering it up. And then I wake up in the middle of the night and I see her and it doesn’t register that it ain’t her. I’m still there.”

Dog has lost a shocking seventeen pounds since her death. “I can’t eat. Two bites, I’m full. I got to force feed myself like I force fed her,” he admitted.

Dog revealed that Beth would often help him to read menus at restaurants because the lighting would be too dim and he needs glasses. “I would go, ‘What do I want today, honey?’ and she would name two things,” he explained. “I never ordered…I’m having a hard time ordering food. Chewing ice helps, and I’ve lost seventeen pounds in about two weeks.”

As if losing the person you were closest to wasn’t enough, some of Beth’s treasured and personal items were also stolen by thieves after Dog’s merchandise store was broken into in Colorado. 

TMZ reports that Dog was sent to the hospital from his home in Colorado after feeling pain in his chest region. The shocking incident comes just three months after Beth’s death.

A representative for the star confirmed via Instagram that Dog thanks everyone for the well-wishes, and is under a doctor’s care resting comfortably. Dog’s feed has since been flooded with comments and well-wishes.  

“I couldn’t breathe. It was like I had ran a 3- or 4-mile run,” he told Fox31 and Channel 2  “It feels much better now.”

“I think, basically, I had a broken heart,” Duane told the reporter, before pausing emotionally. “And of course, it’s going to heal,” he added.

In spite of sounding like psychobabble, “broken heart syndrome” is a genuine heart condition, first discovered in the ’90s. Professor Jeremy Pearson, associate medical director of the British Heart Foundation, called it, “a devastating disease that can suddenly strike down otherwise healthy people.”

It’s a condition brought on by extreme feelings of stress, which can be brought on by grief or bereavement.

Even after the emotional pain is over, the heart can actually be left with tissue damage similar to that of a heart attack.

During one, the heart muscles weaken and expand massively, temporarily destroying the heart’s ability to pump effectively.

Around seven thousand Americans will experience the condition every year. Men are more affected than women, with the primary age of a sufferer is between fifty-right and seventy-five.

In the past, most doctors believed that a full recovery was possible, and would happen spontaneously in time following an incident.

“Now we can see they can continue to affect people for the rest of their lives,” Professor Jeremy Pearson went on.

“There is no long-term treatment for people with takotsubo because we mistakenly thought patients would make a full recovery,” Pearson says.

Takotsubo is not only caused by extremes of negative emotions. It can also be brought on by high-stress positive feelings, like excitement and strong joy.

While he’s out of hospital now, it may be that this is something he suffers with again in the future.

It can’t be easy losing you life partner – but the fact it can also have such a dramatic impact on your health is pretty scary stuff.