Dwayne Johnson Pledges To Stop Using Real Guns on Set as ‘Rust’ Tragedy

Share on Facebook

Dwayne Johnson has pledged to stop using real guns on set after the Rust tragedy that killed Halyna Hutchins.

advertisement

It comes after he was asked about his thoughts on the situation.

  via Getty Images  

Scroll on for more details.

advertisement

Now, it all started when Alec Baldwin got hold of a “prop” gun that contained live rounds…

The sixty-three-year-old was using a gun prop on the set of the American Western film, Rust, when he fired a round of blanks that killed cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, as well as wounded the director of the film, Joel Souza.

advertisement

Souza was immediately rushed to hospital where he received treatment for his injuries.

He was taken to Christus St Vincent Regional Medical Center for further examinations.

advertisement

Hutchins was taken to the University of New Mexico Hospital, but died when she got there.

The forty-two-year-old was transported to the location via helicopter but before she could undergo life-saving treatment, she succumbed to her injuries.

advertisement

Rust was being filmed at the Bonanza Creek ranch just outside of Santa Fe when the incident occured on Thursday.

Santa Fe police deputies were called to the scene after Baldwin had misfired the prop during a scene.

advertisement

Later on, in a statement, the authorities confirmed the details.

As per the Independent, the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s office said that the pair were shot when a prop firearm was discharged by Baldwin, who is the producer and actor for the new film, which, ironically, is about an accidental killing.

advertisement

A Santa Fe sheriff spokesman also confirmed in a statement to AFP news, that Baldwin had willingly spoken to detectives.

“He came in voluntarily and he left the building after he finished his interviews,” the spokesman said.

Photos taken after he had spoken to authorities showed him visibly distraught.

advertisement

Before the incident, Baldwin himself had posted to his Instagram in a now-removed post, emphasizing how “exhausting” the process has been.

Showing a snapshot of himself dressed in a Western outfit, he captioned the photo: “Back to in person at the office. Blimey…it’s exhausting.”

It has been taken down now.

advertisement

So far, no charges have been filed and filming has been postponed.

But people have been having mixed opinions on the issue.

advertisement

Some have suggested that Baldwin be charged with manslaughter.

“Hopefully Alec Baldwin gets manslaughter at the very least. But knowing the Democrats and their penchant for protecting criminals, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets off with 10 hours of community service…

If that,” film producer, Errol Webber wrote.

advertisement

However, Webber was heavily slammed in his comment section for making things “political.”

advertisement

Others have added that the person in charge of handling props should take the fall…

advertisement

However, most people are focussed on the victims of the tragic incident as tributes have been pouring in for Halyna Hutchins, who lost her life as an outcome.

advertisement

Before her untimely death, she even posted a video taken on the set of the movie.

The forty-two-year-old was riding horses on her day off. Alongside the clip, she added the caption: “One of the perks of shooting a western is you get to ride horses on your day off:)”

advertisement
  via Instagram  

Fellow actors, and industry professionals, as well as fans, have been leaving messages for the late director.

American film producer, James Cullen Bressack wrote: “I will miss you my friend…. This is devastating.”

advertisement

Alec Baldwin has broken his silence on the matter.

In a statement, he told people that he is “fully co-operating with the police.”

His full statement reads: “There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother, and deeply admired colleague of ours. I’m fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred and I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family. My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna.”

advertisement

Director Joel Souza has also spoken out about the tragic moment that the shooting took place.

As per the Independent, Souza recalled the moment in an affidavit released by the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office on October 24th.

advertisement

In the document, Souza described hearing a loud pop on Baldwin’s final reach for the gun.

He reportedly said that he vaguely remembers Hutchins grabbing her waist before stumbling backward. Hutchins is then said to have complained of a stomach ache.

advertisement

Over the past few weeks, new information has been shared revealing that there were instances that caused crew members to leave the set even before the fatal shot was fired.

As per the Independent, sources revealed that “camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints about long hours, long commutes and collecting their paychecks… safety protocols standard in the industry, including gun inspections, were not strictly followed on the Rust set.”

advertisement

Gun inspections, which should have been made by twenty-four-year-old head armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, were clearly neglected on set…

Which resulted in multiple accidental shots being fired by prop guns days before Hutchins was shot.

advertisement

According to the Los Angeles Times, sources revealed that complaints about gun safety on set had been made prior to her death as crew members were apparently “concerned about 2 accidental prop gun discharges” just days before.

It turns out, Baldwin’s stunt double fired 2 live rounds by mistake, after being told there was no live ammunition loaded into the gun.

A crew member told the Times: “There should have been an investigation into what happened. There were no safety meetings. There was no assurance that it wouldn’t happen again. All they wanted to do was rush, rush, rush.”

advertisement

There is no denying that the incident was an absolute tragedy and for many people, the risks faced on set have truly hit home…

So much so, that Dwayne Johnson has said he will stop using real guns on set.

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

Johnson made the revelation while speaking with Variety at the premiere of Red Notice, his new Netflix blockbuster.

When asked about the incident, Johnson said: “First of all, I was heartbroken. We lost a life. My heart goes out to her family and everybody on set. I’ve known Alec, too, for a very long time.”

advertisement

He then said that from now on, he will not be using real gun on set, no matter “what it costs” to use an alternative.

“I can’t speak for anyone else, but I can tell you, without an absence of clarity here, that any movie that we have moving forward with Seven Bucks Productions, any movie, any television show, or anything we do or produce, we won’t use real guns at all,” he said.

advertisement

“We’re going to switch over to rubber guns, and we’re going to take care of it in post. We’re not going to worry about the dollars; we won’t worry about what it costs.”

Johnson also revealed that after hearing after the tragic incident, he was straight on the phone to his team to discuss safety measures, the outlet reports.

advertisement

“There are safety protocols and measures that we have always taken in the movie business and we take very seriously, and these sets are safe sets, and we’re proud of that.”

“But accidents do happen. And when something like this happens of this magnitude, [that is] this heartbreaking, I think the most prudent thing and the smartest thing to do is just pause for a second and really re-examine how you’re going to move forward and how we’re going to work together,” he said.
“Any movie we do that Seven Bucks does with any studio, the rule is we’re not going to use real guns. That’s it.”

What do you think of his decision?

advertisement