Former Fox News Reporter Defends Himself After Dressing as Alec Baldwin for Halloween

Share on Facebook

A former Fox News reporter has been slammed after he dressed up as Alec Baldwin for Halloween.

advertisement

Rick Leventhal has since defended his costume…

Scroll on to find out more…

advertisement

Now, it all started when Alec Baldwin got hold of a “prop” gun that contained live rounds…

The sixty-three-year-old was using a gun prop on the set of the American Western film, Rust, when he fired a round of blanks that killed cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, as well as wounded the director of the film, Joel Souza.

advertisement

Souza was immediately rushed to hospital where he recieved treatment for his injuries.

He was taken to Christus St Vincent Regional Medical Center for further examinations.

advertisement

Hutchins was taken to the University of New Mexico Hospital, but died when she got there.

The forty-two-year-old was transported to the location via helicopter but before she could undergo life-saving treatment, she succumbed to her injuries.

advertisement

Rust was being filmed at the Bonanza Creek ranch just outside of Santa Fe when the incident occured on Thursday.

Santa Fe police deputies were called to the scene after Baldwin had misfired the prop during a scene.

advertisement

Later on, in a statement, the authorities confirmed the details.

As per the Independent, the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s office said that the pair were shot when a prop firearm was discharged by Baldwin, who is the producer and actor for the new film, which, ironically, is about an accidental killing.

advertisement

A Santa Fe sheriff spokesman also confirmed in a statement to AFP news, that Baldwin had willingly spoken to detectives.

“He came in voluntarily and he left the building after he finished his interviews,” the spokesman said.

Photos taken after he had spoken to authorities showed him visibly distraught.

advertisement

Before the incident, Baldwin himself had posted to his Instagram in a now-removed post, emphasizing how “exhausting” the process has been.

Showing a snapshot of himself dressed in a Western outfit, he captioned the photo: “Back to in person at the office. Blimey…it’s exhausting.”

It has been taken down now.

advertisement

So far, no charges have been filed and filming has been postponed.

But people have been having mixed opinions on the issue.

advertisement

Some have suggested that Baldwin be charged with manslaughter.

“Hopefully Alec Baldwin gets manslaughter at the very least. But knowing the Democrats and their penchant for protecting criminals, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets off with 10 hours of community service…

If that,” film producer, Errol Webber wrote.

advertisement

However, Webber was heavily slammed in his comment section for making things “political.”

advertisement

Others have added that the person in charge of handling props should take the fall…

advertisement

However, most people are focussed on the victims of the tragic incident as tributes have been pouring in for Halyna Hutchins, who lost her life as an outcome.

advertisement

Before her untimely death, she even posted a video taken on the set of the movie.

The forty-two-year-old was riding horses on her day off. Alongside the clip, she added the caption: “One of the perks of shooting a western is you get to ride horses on your day off:)”

advertisement
  via Instagram  

Fellow actors, and industry professionals, as well as fans, have been leaving messages for the late director.

American film producer, James Cullen Bressack wrote: “I will miss you my friend…. This is devastating.”

advertisement

Alec Baldwin has broken his silence on the matter.

In a statement, he told people that he is “fully co-operating with the police.”

His full statement reads: “There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother, and deeply admired colleague of ours. I’m fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred and I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family. My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna.”

advertisement

Director Joel Souza has also spoken out about the tragic moment that the shooting took place.

As per the Independent, Souza recalled the moment in an affidavit released by the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office on October 24th.

advertisement

In the document, Souza described hearing a loud pop on Baldwin’s final reach for the gun.

He reportedly said that he vaguely remembers Hutchins grabbing her waist before stumbling backward. Hutchins is then said to have complained of a stomach ache.

advertisement

Over the past few days, new information has been shared revealing that there were instances that caused crew members to leave the set even before the fatal shot was fired.

As per the Independent, sources revealed that “camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints about long hours, long commutes and collecting their paychecks… safety protocols standard in the industry, including gun inspections, were not strictly followed on the Rust set.”

advertisement

Gun inspections, which should have been made by twenty-four-year-old head armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, were clearly neglected on set…

Which resulted in multiple accidental shots being fired by prop guns days before Hutchins was shot.

advertisement

According to the Los Angeles Times, sources revealed that complaints about gun safety on set had been made prior to her death as crew members were apparently “concerned about 2 accidental prop gun discharges” just days before.

It turns out, Baldwin’s stunt double fired 2 live rounds by mistake, after being told there was no live ammunition loaded into the gun.

A crew member told the Times: “There should have been an investigation into what happened. There were no safety meetings. There was no assurance that it wouldn’t happen again. All they wanted to do was rush, rush, rush.”

advertisement

There is no denying that the incident was an absolute tragedy and for many people, the risks faced on set have truly hit home…

But, that hasn’t stopped one person from taking it too far…

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

Former Fox News senior correspondent, Rick Leventhal, has been slammed after he dressed up as Alec Baldwin on the set of Rust for Halloween.

Leventhal took to Instagram over the weekend to share a snap of him dressed in a plaid shirt, Western hat, leather vest, and denim jeans while holding a gun.

advertisement

Now, you may think this sounds pretty similar to what a cowboy would wear, however, Leventhal specified in his caption that he was dressed as Baldwin.

“Kelly celebrated her Native American heritage & I celebrated the great American film actor Alec Baldwin,” he wrote.

advertisement

Of course, Leventhal was slammed for his costume choice and as a result, he has since double-downed on it…

By claiming that the anger over his costume should be directed towards Baldwin as opposed to him.

advertisement

Speaking with Page Six, Leventhal said that he was in no way “trying to offend anyone, except Alec Baldwin.”

“He’s a jerk and deserves all the heat he’s getting,” he said.

advertisement

Leventhal also said that he and his wife has planned their outfits “weeks ago,” but he decided to change to Baldwin “at the last minute.”

“If Baldwin is anti-gun why is he waving them around in movies and pointing them at people and pulling the trigger? Focus your anger at him and the hypocrisy of that industry,” he added.

What are your thoughts on his costume?

advertisement