Girl Says Vaping Everyday for 3 Years Left Her in a Coma | 22 Words

Vaping seems to be a phenomenon with the teens of today. While smoking is starting to garner a reputation as something uncool and reserved for those who are a little older, vaping seems to have stepped in as its trendy younger sibling.

Sure, it's cheaper and probably healthier than a cigarette, but has a simple ciggie ever sent somebody into a 3-year coma?

Keep scrolling to learn the horrifying aftermath of one young woman's addiction to vaping and how it nearly cost her life...

For many, smoking is a deeply held vice.

The modern world is undeniably stressful - and, for some of us, the only way to get some relief from the constant stimulation is to nip out for a smoke.

But in recent years, smoking has become less trendy.

Perhaps because of the constant studies revealing the undeniable health risks of smoking, it seems like fewer and fewer young people are taking up the habit. There may be another reason, though.

There's a new cool nicotine-related habit in town.

Although vaping (or inhaling a mixture of nicotine, water vapor, and artificial flavors through a pen-like device) has been around for a while, it's really taken off in the past few years.

Many who would never consider lighting up have taken to vaping.

In fact, there's an almost meme-like culture surrounding vaping, as it's seen as something emblematic of generation Z.

Vaping is also seen as less dangerous than smoking.

And in terms of the disease-based risks, studies seem to suggest that this is the case. But there's one risk that you may not have heard about.

Who remembers when a teenager hit headlines for a pretty scary reason?

Austin Adams, seventeen, from Ely, Nevada, was using his vaping device when something shocking happened - the pen exploded in his mouth.

The injuries that Adams sustained were no laughing matter.

The force of the explosion not only knocked out teeth, it also shattered the teen's jawbone.

Adams had carefully selected his vape of choice.

via: Official VGod

After careful consideration, he'd gone for a device from vape company, VGod. Adams (aged just seventeen) had turned to vaping in an attempt to break his smoking habit.

He couldn't order the pen himself.

Because he was underage, he was forced to turn to his mother, Kailani Burton, who ordered the vape for her son.

She recalls seeing her son's injuries with horror.

Speaking to NBC News, Burton revealed, "Austin came in with his hand up to his mouth. He was in shock and unable to speak."

According to medical reports, Adams lost several teeth.

It's undetermined as of yet how Adams' recovery will go after his ordeal - and whether his jaw and teeth will ever be the same.

He was rushed to hospital.

via: Getty Images

From his home in rural Ely, Adams and his mother made the five-hour journey to their nearest hospital, Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City.

Alongside the shattered jaw and missing teeth, there were further injuries to deal with.

Speaking to NBC, Dr. Katie Russell, who saw to the accident, said, "This child had a blast injury to his lower jaw, as well as burns around his lip."

Luckily, he survived his injuries and eventually made a recovery.

via: Facebook

But this isn't the only vaping incident that's nearly cost somebody their lives. Maddie Nelson from Nephi, Utah, was a seemingly healthy eighteen-year-old who had been vaping every day for 3 years.

Earlier this year, Maddie began experiencing severe nausea and back pain...

via: Facebook

These pains came out of nowhere and, when it began to get unbearable, she was rushed into hospital - her health quickly began to deteriorate.

She was diagnosed with Acute Eosinophilic Pneumonia...

via: Facebook

This is a rare disease that's caused by a build-up of white blood cells in the lungs in response to inflammation. She was unable to breathe alone, so she was placed on a ventilator and put into a medically-induced coma for 3 days.

A GoFundMe page was set up to cover the medical costs...

via: Getty Images

According to the page, her situation went from serious to potentially fatal after a chest X-ray revealed severe damage to her lungs, which lead her family to decide that it was best that she was put into a coma.

She was given steroids to try to fight the inflammation...

via: Facebook

But she strongly relied on constant oxygen for tightness in her chest and was unable to breathe fully alone.

Maddie eventually began coming around...

via: Getty Images

During her recovery, Maddie posted to her Facebook to explain what exactly caused the disease. "The numerous medical professionals that were working on my case were not able to narrow it down to one thing or ingredient from the pens that caused all these problems. My diagnosis of Acute Eosinophilic Pneumonia came from something in the many different brands of pens [vapes] I had been using."

Maddie went public about her experience...

via: Facebook

Speaking to Fox 13, she said: "My temperature was so high, my brain just completely shut off. I thought I was in the hospital for one night, and I was actually there for four days."

The vape pens were the ultimate cause of the illness...

via: Facebook

"What caused my lungs to fill up with fluid, and my kidneys to have an infection was from something in the pens and unfortunately since we are the first generation to use these pens there is not enough research yet to know exactly what it was," she went on to say in her post.

Maddie was stressing the hidden danger behind vaping that even she wasn't aware of...

via: Facebook

"I am not sharing my story to be your parent and tell you to stop, (even though yes, I would recommend.) I am sharing my story so you all are aware that there is something crazy in these pens that is not safe and almost cost me my life," she said.

Perhaps it's time to quit the vapes for good, too...

Despite her being extremely lucky, Maddie's story has taught us a valuable lesson about using vape pens way too much. When used over the limit, vapes can prove to be equally as dangerous as the long-term effects of smoking cigarettes, so, if you're wanting to quit, maybe it's best to turn to patches or just simply going cold turkey...