Groom Dies at the Alter as His Bride Walked Down the Aisle With Son

Share on Facebook

A groom with terminal cancer sadly collapsed and died at the altar as his wife walked down the aisle with their son.

Paul Wynn, from North Ayrshire, Scotland, was fifty-seven years old and a father of eleven children when he tragically collapsed at Saltcoats town hall last Friday minutes before he and his wife Alison Wynn, thirty-six, were about to bind their love for one another in a wedding ceremony.

The couple had been together for twenty-one years–in sickness and in health–and were finally about to wed one another, tying the knot before he died.

Paul was originally diagnosed with cancer in May of this year but was told it had turned terminal only recently.

Sadly, he was given between 6 weeks and 2 months left to live by doctors, as his pancreatic cancer had spread to his liver and lungs.

Unfortunately, not knowing it could happen rather suddenly, he collapsed just as Alison walked towards her husband to be – ready to bind together in eternity – with first-aiders unable to revive him.

He was a “fantastic dad”, Alison expressed in a heartwarming speech after his tragic death. “If I had known we didn’t have long I would’ve tried to arrange the wedding for the beginning of the week. He never actually got any treatment,” she continued.

The groom had been struggling before the ceremony and had to loosen his kilt to help him feel a little bit more comfortable. He had even been wheeled up in an office chair into the lift as he had no energy to make it to the room by himself.

“By the time I had gotten my flowers and went up the stairs, everything seemed to be ok although Paul seemed to be a bit uncomfortable by this point and his kilt had been loosened a wee bit to help him feel more comfortable,” Alison explained.

The bride’s eldest child Sandy, twenty, walked her mom down the aisle after the guests were finally seated. But Alison realized that her beloved partner had sunk down into the chair at the altar.

“By the time I got to him, I called his name a couple of times. He didn’t turn round, he didn’t look at me and I realized there was something wrong and I started breaking down and I started shouting his name and we knew something wasn’t right.”

A friend of the couple Danielle Sood – who was also Paul’s best woman – rushed Paul from the chair to the floor. First-aiders hurried to deliver CPR and use a defibrillator, but he didn’t recover.

“It was hard,” Alison said. “It’s taken me a wee while to get to where I am now and every day just seems to merge into one.”

“It feels like only yesterday that it happened. I’m having to get up and moving every day for the same of my children but I can’t eat. Paul and I lost a child in 2004 after I had a miscarriage so it gives me a bit of comfort that he’s up there with our child. His mother passed away in 2020 so at least he’s with her too.”

The couple met back in 1999 through the Jehova’s Witnesses, before having an on-and-off relationship, not realizing they’d be the loves of each other’s lives.

They had 5 kids together, Sandy, twenty, Tarquin, fifteen, Marcus, thirteen, Louise, 8, and Poppy, 4. Paul also had 6 other children!

Paul was one of the “most lovely guys” you could wish to meet, working as a freelance photographer.

“Paul loved going out and taking pictures of anything and everything,” Alison explained. “We were his life, he would do anything for his kids. He would move heaven and earth for his kids and everyone loved him. He would give you every last penny he had. He made sure that everyone got before him. He was there for everybody. He really was a fantastic dad and his kids were his life.”

Now, a fundraising bid has been launched to support the family and to pay for Paul’s funeral.

Anyone that wants to donate can do so here.

Rest in Peace, Paul.