Most years are made up of 365 days. Apparently, according to science, the year 2017 is no different in that regard.
However, we here at 22 Words can't help but feel as though the year 2017 has felt as though it lasted for centuries. We're calling it right now: 2017 has been the longest year in history. Don't believe us? We've got some evidence. Here are 15 things that happened in 2017 that we could have sworn happened in an entirely different lifetime:
1. Salt Bae — January
2. Trump's Inauguration — January
via: GettyTrump's inauguration took place on January 20, 2017, and thus, the country had a new president. It kinda makes you long for the days of Salt Bae, huh? Who can forget the "record-breaking" inauguration crowds? Trump probably wishes he could. Bragging about the inauguration crowd size was actually one of the first in a very, very long list of lies President Trump has told. Back on January 20, we knew things were pretty bad. But we had no idea just how bad they'd really get.
3. The 'Moonlight' vs. 'La La Land' Oscars Fiasco — February
via: GettyThis was maybe the first time we've ever watched the Oscars and also wished we could climb under a rock for the rest of our lives as the Oscar for Best Picture was awarded to the wrong movie! Jimmy Kimmel eventually tried to explain exactly what happened at the event, but the damage had already been done. At the time, you may have thought that this awards-show debacle was the worst thing to befall the entertainment industry. Of course, you'd be very, very wrong.
4. Winona Ryder went a little bonkers at the SAG Awards — FebruaryWhile her Stranger Things co-star David Harbour made his acceptance speech, Ryder made puzzled facial expression after puzzled facial expression and quickly became a meme in the process. Little did she know that we would all be making pretty much the exact same expressions throughout the course of the rest of the year. (Don't worry; 2017 wasn't all bad for Ryder — we also saw her get revenge on some of her high school bullies. Plus season two of Stranger Things came out and captivated us all!)
5. The Fyre Festival happened — April
Me at home watching rich people get scammed to see what it feels like to be a refugee and live in subhuman conditi… https://t.co/5VTGVsi1kd— ree (@ree)1493386375.0
6. Kendall Jenner solved the problems of racism and police brutality with a can of Pepsi — AprilWe're not sure how this commercial ever got made, but it did — and the response to it was immediate and vicious. Since then, though, Kendall has been able to pretty much stay out of the spotlight. She's one of the only Kardashian family members who isn't at least purportedly pregnant right now.
7. Donald Trump's Covfefe Tweet — MayBack in May, Donald Trump set out to share what was sure to be an excellent tweet full of the best words. Unfortunately, he apparently fell asleep mid-tweet or something, because he ended up tweeting, "Despite the constant negative press covfefe" Trump eventually deleted the tweet, but not before it gained supernova levels of virality. He then posted the above tweet challenging people to guess what "covfefe" means. Answer: nothing. It means nothing. But that didn't stop Sean Spicer (remember Sean Spicer?!) from providing the most ridiculous defense of the covfefe tweet, saying, "the President and a small group of people knew exactly what he meant."
8. Remember when fidget spinners took over the world?We can't pinpoint exactly when it happened, but one day we woke up and saw fidget spinners everywhere. They were a huge controversy in some schools, with many teachers claiming they distracted students. Fidget spinners even led to at least one child winding up in the hospital. We still haven't quite escaped their grasp, but thankfully the buzz seems to have died down a little. And not a moment too soon!
9. Snapchat made a dancing hot dog filter — JuneWhy did Snapchat making a dancing hot dog filter? We only wish we knew. Nevertheless, it happened.
10. The eclipse! — August
via: GettyThat's right, the eclipse was a mere four months ago! It feels like forever ago, doesn't it? McDonald's gave its employees an entire three minutes to enjoy the show, and Donald Trump appeared to look directly into the Sun. Yep. That seems about right. In fact, a meme about the eclipse sparked its own 2017 trend...
11. The 'Distracted Boyfriend' Meme — August
12. Melania wore the wrong shoes — August
via: GettyAs August drew to a close, Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Texas — it was the first of three hurricanes that devastated U.S. soil. Upon visiting Texas, Melania Trump made a very interesting footwear decision and donned a pair of stilettos. Obviously, the Internet roasted her for it. She managed to get it together upon her visit to Puerto Rico, though. If only her husband had taken a page out of her book and acted appropriately in Puerto Rico. Instead, his trip was a PR disaster, complete with tossing paper towels into a crowd and cracking jokes about how much hurricane relief cost.
Chris Pratt and Anna Faris split up — August
via: GettyDo you remember where you were when you learned that love is dead and nothing matters? We're talking about August 6, 2017, when Chris Pratt and Anna Faris announced they'd be separating after 8 years of marriage. Since then, Faris has commented on the breakup (as well as on the rumors that Jennifer Lawrence was involved), and Pratt has wished his ex-wife all the best. Just a few months later, Faris was seen with a new boyfriend. We'll admit it: We're still feeling a little raw about this one.
14. The #TakeAKnee movement — September
@SarahKSilverman @VP @realDonaldTrump .#TakeAKnee https://t.co/WhMOvkZKG0— Tony Guzzi (@Tony Guzzi)1512921330.0
15. The Harvey Weinstein Scandal — October
via: GettyYes, it was just in October that the New York Times published its bombshell report revealing that Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein had spent decades sexually harassing and assaulting women in the entertainment industry. We don't need to tell you that it's been a long, crazy road ever since, with more men being added to the list of perpetrators nearly every day. There were allegations against Kevin Spacey, James Toback, and Russell Simmons. One of the most recent bombshell announcements occurred when Matt Lauer was fired from the Today show after years of sexual misconduct. Although the Harvey Weinstein report occurred all the way back in October, we're still totally reeling from all of the reports that have come out since. Whew. See what we mean when we say 2017 has been the longest year ever? We sort of can't believe the year is almost over...and also can't wait for it to end. Here's hoping 2018 is much kinder!