Human Fecal Matter Found on Multiple McDonald’s Self-Service Touchscreen | 22 Words

We've all experienced that late night craving for some deliciously bad fast food. It's usually after a night out with friends, or maybe after a stressful work week. Suddenly, nothing sounds better than a large order of fries and a giant coke. I pride myself in being a healthy eater, but goodness, sometimes all I want is to drive straight to the nearest drive-thru food establishment and go ham on some chicken nuggets.

I'm not super picky when it comes to food, I'll admit. I'm all about taking a trip to McDonald's every once in a while. Usually, I roll my eyes at those who make fun of fast food and act like they're some kind of food god. But after hearing about what was discovered on the touchscreens on every McDonald's self-serve kiosk...well, let's just say I may be taking a break from eating at Mickey D's. Warning: if you're eating right now, you may want to stop.

McDonald's has been around for quite a bit of time.

via: Getty Images

Founded in 1955, the first McDonald's opened up in San Bernadino, California. For decades, the fast food establishment has fed people a plethora of hamburgers, chicken nuggets, fries and those perfect hashbrowns.

There's something so comforting and wonderful about a Big Mac.

via: Getty Images

Sure, our arteries are probably clogging every single time we eat McDonald's, but it's still so tasty.

Many of us probably grew up occasionally eating McDonald's.

via: Getty Images

After all, McDonald's is the world's largest fast-food chain, according to Serious Facts.

McDonald's operates in over 100 countries.

via: Getty Images

So when you're traveling abroad, you can always find those golden arches closeby... It's like a little piece of home follows you wherever you go.

McDonald's feeds a *ton* of people.

via: Getty Images

The chain restaurant feeds over 60 million people a day. The amount of Big Macs is too much.

McDonald's makes a ton of money every day.

via: Getty Images

About $75 million, to be precise, according to Serious Facts. Talk about a booming business.

Can you guess where the busiest McDonald's locations are?

via: Getty Images

They're all in Hong Kong! Next time you're there, peek in and see how busy they are.

Are all the "Golden Arches" actually golden?

via: Getty Images

Nope. In Paris, some of the famous arches are white. Pretty fancy, huh?

McDonald's is a world-wide phenomenon.

via: Getty Images

Most of us have had McDonald's quite a number of times. And yes, we know it's not great for us but we just turn a blind eye.

Well, I'm sorry to report that we cannot ignore the facts any longer.

via: Getty Images

Because fecal matter was found on every single McDonald's touchscreen kiosk during an investigation in the United Kingdom. Barf!

Yes, it's as disgusting as it sounds.

According to The Epoch Times, six McDonald's locations in London and two in Birmingham had samples taken. All of the samples were contaminated with coliforms, which is found in human feces. Uhhh....what?!

And they didn't find just a tiny bit...

They apparently found enough to "put people in the hospital." "We were all surprised how much gut and fecal bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines. These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals," Dr. Paul Matawele of London Metropolitan University told The Metro.

This is unfathomably gross.

We all know McDonald's doesn't have the healthiest of food options...but this? This is a whole other level of nasty.

Dr. Matawele described the type of bacteria found on the touchscreens.

"For instance Enterococcus faecalis is part of the flora of gastrointestinal tracts of healthy humans and other mammals. It is notorious in hospitals for causing hospital-acquired infections," he explained.

Good lord.

This, in the same place as the incredible chicken nuggets that I seriously cannot stop eating once I start? So vile.

The touchscreens have recently been added to restaurants in the U.K.

The touchscreens are pretty straightforward: instead of waiting in a long line, you can simply walk up and place your order yourself, then pick up your order at the counter. Convenient, right?

Sure...except for that whole poop thing.

At one location, a screen was found to contain staphylococcus, which is a bacteria that can cause toxic shock syndrome and blood poisoning, the Metro reports.

In case you were still unsure: yes, we should be worried.

"Seeing Staphylococcus on these machines is worrying because it is so contagious," Dr. Matewele says. Great...

But how do these nasty things get to the touchscreens?

Dr. Matewele says it starts with the nose. "It starts around people’s noses, if they touch their nose with their fingers and then transfer it to the touchscreen someone else will get it, and if they have an open cut which it gets into, then it can be dangerous," he said.

Keep your fingers out of your nose and off of the touchscreens, people!

Seriously, I feel nauseated just reading the reports. I will never not think about this every time I pass a McDonald's.

In case you don't have enough to be worried about, Dr. Matawele pointed out that there are fears that Staphylococcus is actually becoming resistant to antibiotics.

Fun, right? "However, it is still really dangerous in places like Africa where it can cause toxic shock," he explained.

On Oxford Street in London, Listeria bacteria was found on a McDonald's touchscreen.

"Listeria is another rare bacterium we were shocked to find on touchscreen machines as again this can be very contagious and a problem for those with a weak immune system," Dr. Matawele said.

Several screens had signs of the Proteus bacteria.

Gnarly, right? "Proteus can be found in human and animal feces. It is also widely distributed in soil. It can cause urinary tract infections and is also one of the hospital-acquired infections where it may responsible for septicaemia," Dr. Matewele explained. "Klebsiella is also from the gut and mouth, they are associated with urinary tract infections, septicemia, and diarrhea. Some species can infect the respiratory tract resulting in pneumonia."

Not everyone is surprised about the report, however.

"We are bathed, as a society, in human feces," NYU School of Medicine clinical professor of Microbiology and Pathology Philip Tierno said. That's comforting! "Wherever numerous people touch the same surface over time, they deposit their germ passport, which can include bacteria from three body places—respiratory, skin, and fecal sources," he explained.

He went on to say that, "Eighty percent of all infectious diseases are transmitted by direct and indirect contact."

"Direct like coughing, sneezing, talking, kissing someone; and indirect like touching a dirty fomite (doorknob, phone, computer, elevator button, touchscreen, etc.) and then touching your eyes, nose, or mouth or a break in the skin," he explained.

I feel ill.

A spokesperson for McDonald's told Metro, "Our self-order screens are cleaned frequently throughout the day. All of our restaurants also provide facilities for customers to wash their hands before eating." Here's the thing: McDonald's isn't alone with these nasty findings.

A lot of times the coffee you're drinking or the cash you're carrying has some bacteria that is found in feces, reports MarketWatch.

Basically, if you ever want to eat anywhere again, don't look up what could possibly be in what you're consuming.

It's a dark, depressing hole that you can fall into.

It will rob you of the joy of a late night fast-food run.

Once you start looking up the nasty, it just gets worse.

A BBC investigation found traces of fecal coliform bacteria in the ice cubes used at franchises like Starbucks. Whyyyyyyyy?

Moral of the story? Everything we eat and drink is disgusting.

I'm kidding. Sort of. Share this with a friend who loves to eat at McDonald's.