Men Survived 29 Days Lost at Sea by Eating Oranges and Coconuts and Drinking Rain Water

Share on Facebook

Two men, who survived twenty-nine days lost at sea, have shared how they managed to stay alive for that time…

On September 3rd, Livae Nanjikana and Junior Qoloni set sail in their motorboat from Mono Island.


As per the Guardian, the pair planned to head 200km south to the New Georgia Island, a trip they had done before…

Nanjikana and Qoloni planned to use the west coast of Vella Lavella Island and Gizo Island as a guide, and they also had a GPS if necessary…

But, early on in the trip, things started to go wrong and as a result, they spent twenty-nine days lost at sea.

Just a short while into their journey, Nanjikana and Qoloni ran into bad weather which made the coastline they were following very hard to see.

And if that wasn’t bad enough, it also made their GPS system stop working, leaving them with nothing to follow.

Speaking with the Guardian, Nanjikana said: “We have done the trip before and it should have been OK.”

“When the bad weather came, it was bad, but it was worse and became scary when the GPS died,” he said. “We couldn’t see where we were going and so we just decided to stop the engine and wait, to save fuel.”

In a bid to survive the 2 men then spent the following twenty-nine days surviving on very little resources.

Fortunately, they had some oranges on board the boat that they had packed for the journey, but other than that they had to survive on what they could find. The pair collected coconuts from the sea and gathered rainwater to drink using a piece of canvas.

Eventually, after almost a month, Nanjikana and Qoloni had floated around 400km when they spotted a fisherman off the coast of New Britain, Papua New Guinea.

“It was then that we shouted and continually waved our hands to the fisherman that he saw us and paddled towards us,” Nanjikana told the Solomon Islands Broadcasting Corporation.

The 2 men were so weak at the time they had to be helped out of their boat however, they have since been assessed at a local health clinic.


Despite the scary experience, Nanjikana has been able to take something positive from the experience as he told the Guardian: “I had no idea what was going on while I was out there. I didn’t hear about COVID or anything else. I guess it was a nice break from everything.”

What a story they have to tell!