Michigan High School Shooting Suspect Will Appear in Court on 24 Charges

Share on Facebook

Ethan Crumbley will be attending a probable cause conference on January 7.

advertisement

It was supposed to take place this month, but has been posponed until prosecutors examine the evidence that they’re going to share with defence lawyers.

  via Getty Images  

Read on to find out more…

advertisement

The school shooting happened on Tuesday November 30…

  via Getty Images  

Killing sixteen-year-old, Tate Myre, fourteen-year-old, Hana St. Juliana, seventeen-year-old, Madisyn Baldwin, and seventeen-year-old Justin Shilling who died the following day from his injuries.

advertisement

Fifteen-year-old Crumbley was taken into custody and arrested within minutes of police arriving at the school…

Although he didn’t resist arrest, he invoked his right to remain silent. Police later recovered a loaded handgun, reportedly belonging to the boy’s father.

advertisement

Shortly after the descovery of the weapon, more news about the case surfaced.

  via Getty Images  

Oakland County Sheriff Mike Bouchard has said that the shooter used a 9 mm Sig Sauer gun, a weapon that was purchased just a week before by Crumbley’s father.

advertisement

1 thing people on social media were disgusted with, was the alleged shooters access to the weapon.

Many pointed out that Ethan should never have been allowed near the gun, making the parents just as guilty as he is.

And the latest information to come out about his parents proves they had a lot more to do with it than meets the eye…

advertisement

advertisement

As we know, Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald charged Crumbley with murder and terrorism.

  via Getty Images  

And his parents were also charged following the tragedy.

“Owning a gun means securing it properly and locking it and keeping the ammunition separate,” said McDonald, in a press conference on Wednesday, December 1.

advertisement

Last week, both Crumbley’s mother and father were charged with 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter.

The charges against James and Jennifer Crumbley were filed on Friday, December 3 in 52nd District Court in Rochester Hills.

advertisement

“What the prosecutor is saying is, let’s look at the parents’ responsibility. This is really a new frontier,” Honig said.

advertisement

A fugitive task force then began searching for the pair.

Just hours after the charges were announced, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said that authorities were searching for Crumbley’s parents and that a “fugitive apprehension team” were looking for them…

advertisement

However, after a relatively short but frantic search, the couple were found hiding in the basement of a Detroit building in the early hours of Saturday morning after receiving a tip-off from a member of the public who’d spotted the vehicle parked outside…

They were arrested at 1:45 am local time. It was then confirmed that the couple had pleaded not guilty.

advertisement

Footage of the pair in court showed them laughing and weeping.

According to the Daily Beast, Jennifer cried as she said she understood the charges against her, whereas James smiled, laughed, shook his head. He also raised his eyebrows at various points.

advertisement

Prosecutor Karen McDonald said:

“These are not people that we can be assured are going to return to court on their own.”

It was at this moment that James laughed.

Since then, more information has come out about the moments that lead up to Crumbley opening fire…

advertisement

On the day of the shooting, a teacher “observed concerning drawings and written statements” on Crumbley’s desk, as per CNN.

  via Unsplash  

“These doodlings depicted a gun, a bullet, a shooting victim, and a laughing emoji.”

advertisement

Ethan Crumbley was sent back to class after a meeting with teachers and his parents despite the concern shown about these drawings.

  via Getty Images  

After being dismissed from the counselor’s office, the teenager open-fired.

advertisement

As soon as the news broke, people questioned why he was allowed back into class after the meeting.

Superintendent Tim Thorne later explained the reason why…

advertisement

“The student was immediately removed from the classroom and brought to the guidance counselor’s office, where he claimed the drawing was part of a video game he was designing and informed counselors that he planned to pursue video game design as a career,” the teacher began.

  via Unsplash  

“At no time did counselors believe the student might harm others based on his behavior, responses, and demeanor, which appeared calm.”

advertisement

Since the incident, a neighbor of Ethan Crumbley spoke out about how he was often neglected by his parents.

  via Twitter  

What she had to say is shocking…

advertisement

The neighbor, Kayla LeMieux, told Free Press that way before the shooting took place, she had voiced her concerns about Ethan to child protection services.

  via Getty Images  

Stating that he was often left on his own in the house as a young boy while his parents frequently went out.

advertisement

She said that as far back as 2014, when Ethan would have been around 8-years-old, the couple would leave him alone to go to bars in downtown Lake Orion.

  via Unsplash  

LeMieux said that it happened so often that one time she decided to take it up with local protection services.

advertisement

“When they were gone, he would come knock on our door,” she said. “They didn’t leave him with a phone.”

According to LeMieux, Ethan would often ask to use her phone to call his parents. And despite bringing up her concerns with his mom, Jennifer, who she once considered a friend, she would simply respond by saying: “Oh he is fine.”

advertisement

LeMieux shared that she never found out whether child protection investigated her claims…

Spokesman, Bob Wheaton of the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, wrote: “CPS complaints are confidential by law.” So as it stands, we won’t know whether his case was looked into.

One thing’s for sure is that Ethan’s parents clearly failed him, and by the looks of it, so did the system.

advertisement

The claims of child neglect were further added to when Ethan’s parents hired lawyers for theirselves, but not their son.

Ethan’s parents have hired expensive lawyers Shannon Smith and Mariell Lehman to represent themselves, leaving Ethan to be represented by court official appointed defence attorney, Paulette Michel Loftin.

advertisement

And now, Loftin has spoke out about the case for the first time.

WXYZ reports that Loftin spoke with 7 Action News where she revealed that she has spoke with Ethan several times over video.

advertisement

Loftin told the outlet that she cannot discuss the conversations any furthers, though she did reveal that she’s already asked for more resources.

“Ethan’s being charged with very serious crimes, people still have rights, that’s my job,” she said. “As a defense attorney, it’s not as though I’m defending his actions, I’m defending him to make sure his rights are preserved.”

advertisement
  via Getty Images  

“My focus is solely on Ethan and Ethan’s case. I don’t anticipate that the three of us will be working together since they’re not charged on the same case,” Loftin said.

advertisement

Loftin further spoke about the media’s involvement in the case.

  via Getty Images  

“Obviously, the media is involved,” she said. “I thought it was very important to make sure Ethan’s rights are protected. Even being charged with very serious crimes, people still have rights.”

advertisement

And now, the fifteen-year-old suspect will be appearing in a probable cause conference in January of next year.

  via Getty Images  

It was supposed to be held on December 20 but has been postponed while prosecutors prepare more evidence.

The prosecutors want to ensure that when they present their case, it is strong.

advertisement

So far, though, the prosecutors have over 500 pages that they’ve shared with the defence attourneys, assistant prossecutor Mark Keast has said during a court hearing according to CNN.

  via Getty Images  

Keast has also said that he needs to conduct more interviews, but it’s difficult to do so in a short period of time.

advertisement

“A number of the children at the school were victimized and traumatized themselves.

  via Getty Images  

“That has naturally caused delays in those interviews,” he explained.

The shooting has not only taken lives but affected those who survived, too.

advertisement

But that wasn’t all…

  via Getty Images  

Deborah McKelvy, who was appointed Crumbley’s guardian, wanted him to be moved from the jail he’s being held at, to a children’s village.

advertisement

This comes after she said a statute for minors being held in adult facilities had been violated, as he could hear adults around him.

  via Getty Images  

Loftin, his defense lawyer, had said he poses no threat to juveniles.

advertisement

But, when Keast said:
“This was a mass murder at a school. This was planned. This was premeditated. He targeted juveniles…”

  via Getty Images  

The judge ruled against the transportation of Crumbley to the Juvenile facility.

What do you think?

advertisement