In recent years, there has been a bizarre trend for online challenges. Remember the Tide Pod challenge? The company ended up having to speak out against the trend, as a worrying number of people decided to film themselves eating these highly dangerous (and undoubtedly disgusting) laundry detergent capsules.
It's clear that these challenges aren't for the weak-hearted. But one that has recently taken the internet by storm looks potentially even more hazardous than the rest and it's called the "Skull Breaker Challenge." One particular mom found out the after-effects of the trend when her daughter was involved.
Keep reading to find out the consequences of such a dangerous challenge and to watch the video for yourself.
If there's one thing the internet loves, it's a challenge.The idea of setting a task that few can complete (but many will enjoy watching) is something fairly unique to the online community.
And there's one area wherein these challenges typically manifest.That's in the world of millennials.
An fairly early option was the cinnamon challenge.In this feat, participants had to attempt to swallow a teaspoon of the potent spice without any water.
To be fair, this one was pretty funny.The challenge was essentially impossible, and so it was basically an excuse to watch people choking and coughing out plumes of powder.
But some challenges have been a little more problematic.At the beginning of 2019, something called the "Tide Pod Challenge" started creeping up online.
It all started when people noticed something strange.
@Kevintronlol @caradelevigene @RobGronkowski Tide Pods are laundry detergent. They are made to clean clothes and nothing else.— Tide (@Tide)1516848131.0
Many people admitted they shared the fantasy.It became a meme, sort of playing on our weird compulsions. But then some took it a step further.
Many began sharing viral videos of them eating the pods.The problem? These detergent filled pouches were extremely dangerous for human consumption - even as a joke.
In fact, things (kind of) got serious.
What should Tide PODs be used for? DOING LAUNDRY. Nothing else. Eating a Tide POD is a BAD IDEA, and we asked our… https://t.co/X0QqVnvJCX— Tide (@Tide)1515795314.0
So it's clear these challenges aren't all fun and games.In fact, when serious health issues could be the result, perhaps it's best sticking to eating things purely for sustenance and enjoyment?
Although you can't convince everyone.There are many people out there vying for internet attention, and who will go to pretty bizarre lengths to get it.
Even if that means hurting others in the process.Recently, a whole new trend has been taking over and it is one of the most dangerous yet.
It is known as the "Skull Breaker Challenge."And it involves kicking inwards at an unsuspecting person as they jump up in the air so they fall onto the back of their heads.
It can cause serious injuries to the head, neck and wrists.The trend originally started in Spain, where 2 students filmed themselves doing this "harmless" prank to another student. But since then, things have taken a cruel turn.
Recently a concerning video surfaced online...2 of them decided they would subject the third to this prank in front of an audience and because she had learning difficulties, she was deemed an easy target.
And in a similar case, a young boy was left with some serious injuries.Valerie Hodson, a concerned mother posted this warning on Facebook after her son was hospitalized when he was taking part in the challenge.
She warned other parents and children:"On Wednesday my son was asked to do a jumping contest with his 2 friends, when he jumped up, the 2 boys kicked him, as hard as they could, so his legs flew out in front of him. He landed hard flat on his back and head, as he struggled to get up he lost consciousness, he fell forward landing on his face."
And his injuries were pretty serious..."The school monitor ran to his side, all the while the 2 boys were snickering and laughing as his stiff unconscious body lay on the asphalt."
She clarified that her son had no idea that the boys would do that to him."Fast forward at the hospital, he has a head injury, stitches in his face, severe cuts inside his mouth and 2 front teeth I have to keep on eye on."
A spokesperson for TikTok recently spoke out about the issue.They told Yahoo News that the number one priority of the platform is to keep everyone safe and they do not promote this kind of behavior. The "breaker" part of the challenge is being replaced with "saver", which is an alternate challenge used to replace this one. If you want to read more about online challenges, then keep scrolling.
Now, yet another child has fallen victim to this TikTok stunt.A teenager was rushed to hospital last month after performing the dangerous viral challenge.
After landing awkwardly on her neck...The teen, named Sarah, has been left with serious spinal injuries.
A photo surfaced of the teen in the hospital with a neck brace on.She later required special treatment at the spinal unit at Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in Oxford, UK, where she was diagnosed with ligament damage and potentially broken neck bones.
Her terrified mom took to social media to warns others about the challenge.
She shared footage of the moment the injury occurred along with the caption: "Please please if you have teenagers doing TikToks.
"Do not get them involved in this. I'm sitting in A&E with my daughter with a severe spinal injury."