A mom has issued a grave warning to parents after her 5-year-old daughter contracted a rare life-threatening complication from COVID-19.
It's time that people started taking this virus seriously...
Disclaimer: This article contains images that some readers may find distressing.
COVID-19 is so much more lethal than many think...But sadly, thanks to all of the online rumors and conspiracy theories, many strongly believe that there is nothing to worry about.
So many people think that COVID-19 is as harmless as the common cold...
The same people who say Covid is harmless are the ones who are saying a vaccine is dangerous 😭pick a struggle— not me (@not me)1607100432.0
Another misconception is that certain individuals are more immune to the virus than others.
via: GettyWhile this is true to an extent (for example, the elderly are at a much higher risk than young people) nobody is safe from contracting COVID-19 and being seriously knocked by its effects.
Even though children have been proven to be at the lowest risk of contracting the virus...
via: GettyThis doesn't mean that they are safe from it.
And this is exactly what one mom from Texas recently learned.
Tara decided to share her little girl's story with the world in an attempt to warn other parents about the dangers of this pandemic...
via: ShutterstockAnd alongside well-wishers for the family, people were left utterly shocked.
Weeks before Christmas, Tara and her husband tested positive for COVID-19...And their 5 children, including Peyton, all displayed mild symptoms of the virus. The family immediately went into isolation and thankfully, by Christmas, they had tested negative and felt much better.
But on Christmas morning, Peyton woke up with a low-grade fever and a headache.
via: ShutterstockShe was seen the next day by a doctor at an urgent care clinic and treated for strep throat, but her symptoms continued to worsen. "By the night of the 27th, she came down with a really bad rash, and by this time her lips were swollen, her eyes were bloodshot and her face was starting to swell. She still had a horrible headache and stomachache and kept waking up in pain," Tara explained to Good Morning America.
Tara took her daughter the next morning to the emergency room at Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth...
MIS-C is a condition where different body parts like the heart, lungs, brain, skin, eyes, and kidneys can become inflamed.
via: ShutterstockThe condition occurs in children who have had the virus that causes COVID-19, according to Dr. Nicholas Rister, an infectious disease specialist at Cook Children's Hospital. "It's frustrating because we don't know the exact link to why is COVID doing this in particular," Rister told GMA, "What we've seen previously with other infections in children, and in adults too, your immune system gets really revved up, and starts driving inflammation, which normally isn't bad because that's how your body drives off infections."
In Peyton's case, her symptoms had worsened throughout her body to the point where she was struggling to breathe and maintain consciousness.
After spending nearly 2 weeks hospitalized, Peyton was discharged on January 7th and is thankfully expected to make a full recovery.
The mom said she is sharing her family's experience in the hopes of making more parents aware of MIS-C, adding:
via: Shutterstock"Parents need to know the symptoms so [they] can bring a child in to be treated as soon as possible."
Because children can often be asymptomatic of COVID-19, experts like Rister say it is important for parents to watch for symptoms in children who have been exposed to COVID-19...
via: ShutterstockWhether or not they have actually tested positive for the virus.
We're just glad that Peyton has made a full recovery!
via: GettyAnd we hope that more parents will be made aware of the dangers of the pandemic through this terrifying story. For more, read on to see why a doctor was left heartbroken over the most recent COVID protest...