New Zealand has announced a snap lockdown after a man tested positive for COVID - the first case they've had in 6 months.

The case has been detected in Auckland, which will be in lockdown for a week, while the rest of the country will be in lockdown for 3 days. So, it's not the same lengthy lockdown that the world has gotten used to hearing about, but New Zealand has really got it down and under control!

Getty Images

There's suspicion that the case has come from the new Delta variant, and only twenty percent of its population has been fully vaccinated.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the toughest level 4 rules were required, which includes closing schools, offices, and all businesses with only essential services remaining operational.

"I want to assure New Zealand that we have planned for this eventuality. Going hard and early has worked for us before," she said.

Ardern wants to act early and fast to prevent their country from spreading the delta variant, which is affecting so many other countries around the world.

Getty Images

The patient who has contracted the delta variant is a fifty-eight-year-old man, who is believed to have been infectious since last Thursday, with at least twenty-three potential sites of transmission.

But, even though the lockdown is one of the shortest lockdowns since the coronavirus started, locals rushed around supermarkets in Auckland in a panic before the country shut down.

Data released by New Zealand's Ministry of Health on Monday showed that all cases of Covid-19 detected at the country's border in recent weeks had been Delta as per BBC News.

"We have seen what can happen elsewhere if we fail to get on top of it. We only get one chance," Ardern said in a televised national address, calling the Delta strain "a game-changer".

New Zealand's international borders remain closed as more people wait to be vaccinated. But how have New Zealand maintained such a low coronavirus rate?

On February 2nd, a man outside of China died from the virus, resulting in New Zealand quickly taking action the day after, refusing entry to anyone coming in from or via China, and any New Zealander returning from China had to isolate for fourteen days.

And Ardern wasn't going to apologize for her strict enforcement of regulations as she leads her country into safety in March, with everybody going into self-isolation on arrival in the country.

Not long after, the celebrated prime minister also made the decision to close the borders entirely.

Perhaps we should be learning a thing or two from Ardern!