0days0hours0minutes0seconds

Tragedy struck a family in China's Heilongjiang province after 9 members died following the ingestion of some extremely toxic contents from their freezer.

The reason behind their deaths will shock you...

When you think of food poisoning, noodles aren't exactly the things that spring to mind, are they?

via: Shutterstock

Well, a family from China's Heilongjiang province learned the hard way just how dangerous they can be.

And what makes this story truly tragic?

via: Shutterstock

9 members of the same family were affected by this one bad batch.

The noodle soup was served at a gathering of twelve...

via: Shutterstock

But 3 of the youngest members refused to eat it because of its strange taste.

These 3 are now the only survivors from the incident.

via: Shutterstock

While one family member was treated in hospital, she also tragically died on Monday.

But it isn't only noodles that are dangerous...

via: Shutterstock

In fact, one expert has revealed his most dangerous foods that should be avoided.

You wouldn't expect an attorney to be a leading expert in the field of food poisoning...

via: Getty

But Bill Marler specializes in litigating food poisoning cases, and in two decades, he's learned a lot from the hundreds of cases he's tried. He shares his secrets and lessons below, so pay attention...

Raw oysters.

via: Tag Weight Loss

You might love 'em, but they're filter feeders, so anything bad that passes through them stays in them.

It's due to the rise in water temperatures.

via: Arkansas

The warmer the water, the more bacteria thrives. So until global warming is reversed, expect these guys to be off-limits for picky eaters.

Precut fruit.

via: Getty

Doesn't seem that bad, does it? Well, cutting fruit increases its surface area, which means more of it gets handled and comes in contact with bacteria or other contaminates.

What to do?

via: Getty

Buy your fruit whole. It's cheaper anyway. Then cut and eat it in a few days to minimize the likelihood of listeria. "We've gotten so used to the convenience of mass-produced food —bagged salad and boxed salads and precut this and precut that. Convenience is great but sometimes I think it isn't worth the risk."

Raw sprouts.

via: Getty

Maybe not a best-seller, but worth knowing about. In twenty years, sprouts have caused thirty bacterial outbreaks. That's a lot for an uncommon food.

There have been too many outbreaks to not pay attention to the risk of sprout contamination.

via: Getty

"Those are products that I just don't eat at all," says Marler.

Rare steak.

via: Reddit

You may love this indulgence, but it's a risky one. Meat needs to be heated to above 160 (throughout) to kill bacteria causing E. coli or salmonella. Rare meat often doesn't cross that mark.

Ground meats are even more troublesome.

via: Mighty Sweet

"The reason ground products are more problematic and need to be cooked more thoroughly is that any bacteria that's on the surface of the meat can be ground inside of it," said Marler.

Raw eggs.

via: Getty

Marler says that the chance of getting food poisoning from runny eggs is pretty low these days, but it's still not worth the risk.

Salmonella's the culprit.

via: Getty

As recently as 2010, 2,000 cases of salmonella were reported from egg consumption, so beware!

Unpasteurized milk and juices.

via: Getty

There's no benefit big enough to take away the risk of drinking products that can be made safe by pasteurization.

Popular bottled juices can cause problems.

via: Getty

In 1996, Odwalla, the popular juice brand, was found liable for distributing unpasteurized apple juice in its products. They were on the hook for a $1.5 million fine and $12 million to the victims.

And now we can add Suantangzi, a type of noodle soup, to the list...

via: Shutterstock

After it has tragically claimed the lives of 9 in Jixi city, China.

via: Facebook

via: Facebook

via: Facebook

via: Facebook

via: Facebook

via: Facebook

via: Facebook

via: Facebook

via: Facebook

via: Facebook

via: Facebook

So, how did this noodle soup become so deadly?

via: Shutterstock

Well, the fermented cornmeal in the dish had produced large quantities of bongkrek acid.

This is a respiratory toxin produced by the bacteria in the cornmeal...

via: Shutterstock

And after being stored for more than twelve-months, the acid was present in fatal quantities.

This acid was found in the gastric fluid of the deceased.

via: Shutterstock

"It can cause serious damage to many human organs including the liver, kidneys, heart, and brain," Gao Fei, director of food safety at the Heilongjiang Centre for Disease Control and Prevention told China News Service.

"Currently, there is no specific antidote."

via: Shutterstock

"Once poisoned, the fatality rate can be as high as forty percent to 100 percent."

Symptoms of poisoning can include stomach pain, sweating, general weakness, and, eventually, a coma, and death can then occur within a timeframe as short as twenty-four-hours.

via: Shutterstock

RIP to this family - our thoughts are with the surviving members.