Yesterday, the horrific news broke that at least eight people had died and more than a hundred others had been hospitalised at the Astroworld Festival in Houston, Texas.
The reason for the panic, which led to so called ‘crowd crush’ was initially unknown. But now new reports are surfacing.
Keep scrolling to learn more.
At least eight people tragically died with hundreds more injured, some as young as ten, during the opening night of Travis Scott’s Astroworld festival in Houston, Texas.
It was the opening night of the festival.
But what was intended to be the beginning of a huge festival turned into what the county judge of Harris County described as an ‘extremely tragic night’.
Around 50,000 people attended the festival which has now been cancelled.
Panic broke out when the crowd began surging towards the front of the stage. As the crush began to cause injuries, more panic broke out, causing even more damage.
Eleven people were initially taken to hospital with cardiac arrest.
Eight of whom died. Some of the casualties are aged as young as ten.
The county judge of Harris County added:
“Our hearts are broken. People go to these events looking for a good time, a chance to unwind, to make memories – it’s not the kind of event you go to where you expect to find out about fatalities.”
Travis Scott then responded.
In a statement, Scott said:
“I’m absolutely devastated by what took place last night. My prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened at Astroworld Festival.”
He went onto say that he fully supports the authorities and is committed to finding out exactly what happened.
One widely reported source claims a member of the audience started the crush.
The source, reportedly from Astroworld, claimed that the panic began when a member of the audience began injecting people in the crowd with ‘some kind of drug’.
Now, the police seem to be backing up this statement.
According to the New York Post, Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said at a Saturday afternoon press conference that a security guard was ‘jabbed in the neck’ while in the crowd at the festival.
Medical staff then treated the guard.
Staff administered the guard Narcan, a drug used to revive people who have overdosed on opioids after seeing what looked like a needle mark on his neck.
Rest in peace.
Astroworld themselves thanked the rapid response of the emergency services and said that their hearts are with those of all affected…
So tragic. Rest in peace.