Queen Elizabeth’s Cousin Released From Prison After 5 Months

Share on Facebook

Queen Elizabeth’s cousin has been released from prison after serving just half of his prison sentence for s**ual assault.

Simon Bowes-Lyon, the Earl of Strathmore, was released from HMP Perth last week.

Bowes-Lyon, the son of a cousin of the Queen, was sentenced to 10 months in prison in February after he assaulted a guest staying at Glamis Castle in Angus, his ancestral home.

The victim of the attack was staying at the 16,500-acre Glamis Castle as they were attending a 3-day public relations event. She had gone to bed one evening when a “drunk” Bowes-Lyon went to her room at around 1.20 am, the Herald Scotland reports.

Bowes-Lyon persuaded the woman to open the door before pushing her on the bed and assaulting her in a 20-minute ordeal.

The victim of the assault then locked the bedroom door and wedged a chair under the handle to prevent Bowes-Lyon from getting back in.

As per the Independent, during his sentencing at Dundee Sheriff Court, Sheriff Alastair Carmichael told Bowes-Lyon: “Throughout all of this she made it clear that she wanted you to stop.

“She told you repeatedly that she had a boyfriend, repeatedly told you to leave and repeatedly had to keep pushing you away from her. All of which you ignored.

“Once she’d finally managed to eject you from her bedroom, you returned to the door and pleaded with her to let you back in.”

Carmichael also said that Bowes-Lyon “took advantage” of his position as host of the event, while noting that the “amounts of force, aggression and persistence that you used are concerning.”

“In mitigation; you apologised to her soon after the assault, you have expressed remorse, you have accepted responsibility for you actions, you have no previous convictions and you appear to be otherwise of good character,” he said.

In a statement outside court, Bowes-Lyon apologized and said he was “greatly ashamed of my actions which have caused such distress to a guest in my home”.

He said he had “drunk to excess” on the night of the attack while acknowledging it was “no excuse.”

“I did not think I was capable of behaving the way I did but have had to face up to it and take responsibility,” he added. “This has involved seeking and receiving professional help as well as agreeing to plead guilty as quickly as possible.

“My apologies go, above all, to the woman concerned but I would also like to apologise to family, friends and colleagues for the distress I have caused them.”