There are so many amazing things that exist in the world. There are rainbows and puppies and chocolate bars... you get the idea.
This list isn't about those things. It's pretty much the complete opposite.
I hope you got a good night's sleep last night, 'cause you probably won't be able to drift off anytime soon after you learn about these terrifying things that actually exist in real life.
1. The Bolton Strid
via: ShutterstockTake a good look at this picture. What do you see? A lovely babbling brook, right? It looks like the perfect place to have a picnic or maybe dangle your toes into the water. It's only about 6 feet across. Maybe you want to try to jump across?
2. Invisible FireNo, it's not just a silly plot point from Talladega Nights. Invisible fire is real and every bit as dangerous as fire with visible flames. In fact, it's probably more dangerous exactly because you can't see it as it blazes.
3. Asian Giant Hornets
via: TwitterYou know how hornets are already terrifying? Well, the universe took that into account and apparently thought, "Let's make 'em gigantic, too!" Enter the Asian giant hornet. It's also known as the yak-killer hornet, but don't let that fool you. It's sting can also be lethal to humans (even humans who are not otherwise allergic to hornets). OK, I'm done thinking about these guys. Let's move on to something else.
4. The SunStick with me, here. I know what you're thinking. The Sun is great! It makes plants possible, which in turn make oxygen possible. Maybe you've grown accustomed to the Sun you used to draw in the corner of your childhood pictures. Usually wearing sunglasses. But that isn't quite accurate, is it?
5. Locked-in SyndromeDo you like walking around, having control over your limbs, and speaking? Well then, Locked-in syndrome is not for you.
6. Sleep Paralysis
7. Fatal Familial InsomniaPeople who suffer from insomnia can't fall asleep. People who suffer from Fatal Familia Insomnia (FFI) can't fall asleep...and then die.
8. Alien Hand SyndromeImagine waking up in the middle of the night and realizing there's suddenly a hand around your neck, choking the life out of you. Now imagine that that hand is your own.
via: ShutterstockAlso known as the brain-eating amoeba. Why is it known as the brain-eating amoeba? I'll give you one guess. These amoebae typically live in warm fresh water. If they get to your brain (either from a neti pot or accidental inhalation of water), there's about a 95 percent chance that you will die from them. Because they eat your brain.
10. Sudden Adult Death SyndromeMaybe you consider your life to be pretty safe. You wear your seatbelt, exercise regularly, and stay away from junk food and water containing brain-eating amoebae. As it turns out, though, it might not matter.
11. The Bigfin Squid
via: TwitterI'm gonna tell you the good news first: The Bigfin squid won't kill you! (Hooray!) But that doesn't stop it from existing and haunting your nightmares!
12. Horsehair Worms
via: YouTube(Note: This picture is a screenshot from this video which shows the worm in action. I don't recomment watching it but I guess I can't stop you.) These parasites typically lay eggs in water. Bugs drink the water, and badabing badaboom — they now have a parasite. The eggs eventually grow into a worm which makes a beeline for bug's brain. Then the worm takes over the bug's brain and makes the bug kill itself by drowning. And the entire cycle starts all over. But don't worry. They don't go after humans. Usually.