Let's take a look at some of the key moments from election day and the days following including a disturbing detail from Donald Trump's most recent speech that has everyone talking...
Things are only getting more disturbing...As the final results continue to trickle in, it seems as though Donald Trump is not happy with what he's seeing.
The Trump campaign is getting more and more desperate.
But nothing has been quite as alarming as Trump's latest speech.During a press conference at the White House yesterday, the president made some pretty appalling claims and after fact-checkers sieved through all the information, many of his quotes were branded "false" or "baseless."
What makes this all the more disturbing is one little detail that you might have missed...And that's why it has become our top moment of the election so far. Let's take a look at the list.
20. Joe Biden visits his son's grave.
Joe Biden decided to kick-off his election day by heading to Wilmington, Delaware in order to visit his son, Beau's, grave before joining the members of his campaign later on.
Joe Biden walks with his granddaughter to visit his son Beau’s grave on the morning of Election Day.… https://t.co/n7Ape5OjuV— NBC News (@NBC News)1604413284.0
19. Donald Trump prematurely announces election win.Despite there being no indication as to who would take the crown, Donald Trump announced that he had won the election. This was a false statement on behalf of the president, who was condemned by the Biden campaign and several Republicans who referred to the claim as "outrageous."
18. The highest voter turnout was announced.
This number has been the highest it's ever been since 1990.
HIGHEST VOTER TURNOUT SINCE 1900 (per .@ElectProject) https://t.co/INvONPoo1y— Bruce Mehlman (@Bruce Mehlman)1604489302.0
17. The state of Nevada announced that they will not be revealing any data until Thursday.According to the live update system presented by The Associated Press, Biden is currently leading with 67% of the votes counted and half a per cent in the numbers. Nevada is a key state for both campaigns.
16. Donald Trump accuses the Democrats of trying to "steal" the election."We are up BIG, but they are trying to STEAL the Election," he writes. "We will never let them do it. Votes cannot be cast after the Polls are closed!"
15. Wisconsin splits.While it seems as though the state turned red back in 2016, Wisconsin is now teetering between the two with some projections claiming it might be turning blue this election.
14. Donald Trump secures Florida, Ohio, and Iowa.These victories have put him on the right path to re-election, though Biden is making things difficult for him as he secured Minnesota and Wisconsin.
13. Both campaigns announce that they're "on the right path."
It seems as though both parties are confident that their selected nominee is going to win this one.
-Biden's Campaign manager: "Joe Biden is on track to win this election, and he will be the next president of the Un… https://t.co/Z4mYVb9khz— Joyce Karam (@Joyce Karam)1604503872.0
12. Biden tells his supporters to "keep the faith."While the early statistics favored Donald Trump, Joe Biden hit the stage in Delaware to thank all of his fans and supporters and to also remind them to "keep the faith."
11. Donald Trump tells workers to "stop counting."According to CNN, this was an "attack" on democracy. White House reporter, Stephen Collinson, analyzed the remarks and concluded: "Trump's remarks essentially amounted to a demand for the legally cast votes of American citizens not to be recorded in a historic act of disenfranchisement. And they brought closer the potential constitutional nightmare that many have feared since Trump started to tarnish an election that he apparently worried he could lose months ago."
10. Biden was declared the winner of Wisconsin.In 2016, Wisconsin sat comfortably as a red state, but 4 years later, Joe Biden has secured it and it's 10 electoral votes.
9. "The Squad" all win their re-election.
Democrats Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and Ayanna Pressley have all won re-election in their respective states.
Our sisterhood is resilient. https://t.co/IfLtsvLEdx— Ilhan Omar (@Ilhan Omar)1604463586.0
8. Donald Trump raises speculation on election credibility.On a Twitter rant, the president claimed that things had taken a "strange" turn after he was leading last night when the early figures showed he was leading in almost all battleground and swing states, even though many journalists and political advisors have claimed that there is no evidence of voter fraud in any state.
7. Donald trump's tweets are restricted on Twitter.With the label "Some or all of the content shared in this Tweet is disputed and might be misleading about an election or other civic process," the president's tweets get restricted on the Twitter platform as he continues his rant online.
6. The final winning paths are laid out.The Guardian outlined the winner's paths. Biden: "Biden had many paths to find his remaining 32 electoral votes. His most likely path lay through the Great Lakes states, where Pennsylvania and Michigan combined would net 36 votes. Without Pennsylvania, Biden could win by winning Michigan, Wisconsin, and Nevada, where he held a clear but narrow lead. A Biden victory in either of the two reddest states in the mix – Georgia or North Carolina – would almost certainly foretell wins elsewhere and a Biden victory. Trump: "The simplest way for Trump to find the 54 electoral votes he needs would be to win Pennsylvania and at least three other states. If he does not win Pennsylvania, Trump must make a clean sweep of all five remaining states to get to 270."
5. Joe Biden receives more votes than any other presidential candidate in history.The previous record was held by former president of the United States, Barack Obama, and has now been taken over by Joe Biden who currently stands at 70,147,282 at the time of writing.
4. Trump campaign announces that they will file for a recount in Wisconsin.Bill Stepien, the campaign manager released this statement: “There have been reports of irregularities in several Wisconsin counties which raise serious doubts about the validity of the results. The President is well within the threshold to request a recount and we will immediately do so." However, as I have mentioned previously, there has still not been any evidence of voter fraud.
3. The Democratic nominee in Maine conceded defeat.
Susan Collins announced her Democratic challenger, Sara Gideon, had conceded the race while speaking to supporters so Donald Trump has won the lone electoral vote from Maine’s 2nd congressional district even though Joe Biden has carried the overall state.
Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) declares victory after her opponent Sara Gideon called her to concede the race.… https://t.co/M5dNrpiUQB— The Recount (@The Recount)1604514358.0
2. Joe Biden wins Michigan.Just minutes before the final results came in, Biden was projected to win Michigan by a narrow margin and those dreams have finally come true as he manages to clinch the victory. But the winner of the election is still undecided as ballots continue to be counted in the final states: Nevada, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina. Stay tuned for more updates.
1. Donald Trump breaks 36-hour silence with a speech.Speaking from the White House, the president of the United States used his platform in order to undermine the legitimacy of the presidential elections.
After some traditionally red states flipped to blue, the president called for a recount.In the alarming speech broadcasted all over the world, he falsely claimed that he had won the election but "fraud" carried out by the Democrats in the final leg of the race has meant the results have suddenly turned against him.
But as multiple media outlets have reported, there has been no evidence of voter fraud displayed so far.At one point he claimed this: “We’re hearing stories that are horror stories... We think there is going to be a lot of litigation because we have so much evidence and so much proof."
But here are the facts:Trump has produced no evidence of the problems with voting or counting.
One of his main complaints is that counting spilled over past election day and that doesn't mean anything at all.No presidential election has had all the votes counted the same day, and there is no law that states it should be the case.
Trump also claimed: “Pennsylvania Democrats have gone to the state supreme court to try and ban our election observers..."Again, this is false. No one tried to ban poll watchers representing each side and Democrats did not try to stop Republican representatives from getting involved in the process either.
Of course, he also used the term "legal votes," claiming that if only those were counted, he would have won.However, this term has been misrepresented and has no merit to it as all as he has not defined it any further. Not all the votes cast for the Democrats can be "illegal," if we're taking that term to be the opposite.
The president also talked about certain states such as Georgia saying this:“The election apparatus in Georgia is run by Democrats." This comes after Biden started getting a narrow lead in the state.
But it seems as though he nor his campaign checked who was in charge...Because the state’s elections are overseen by a Republican – the secretary of state, Brad Raffensperger.
And in the case of Michigan, he said this:“Our campaign has been denied access to observe any counting in Detroit."
One more time for the people in the back: This is also false.According to the Guardian: "Absentee ballots were counted at a downtown convention centre where 134 counting boards were set up. Each party was allowed one poll watcher per board, said the city clerk, Janice Winfrey. She was not aware of any Republican poll watchers being removed but noted some had been “very aggressive, trying to intimidate the poll workers and processors."
Mark Brewer, former chairman of the Michigan Democratic Party, said he was inside the center...And "access was cut off to some people from both sides at one point because of capacity restrictions related to the pandemic."
As news stations broadcasted the speech, some stations were forced to interrupt and cut the president off.Legal teams scurried to correct the false information provided by Donald Trump, telling viewers that even though he claimed he had won the election, this was not the case as there were votes that had still not been counted and tallied up.
But even though a lot of people picked out these lines to focus on, there was something else about the speech that has people talking...
And it's the speech itself.
Still waiting to hear national Republican leaders speak out against the false charges they heard spoken at the White House tonight.— Michael Beschloss (@Michael Beschloss)1604624563.0
Posted to Twitter was a copy of the actual speech read by the president.While most people believe that he had in fact strayed away from the speech in front of him and gone off to speak his own mind, this is not true as it seems as though this exact speech was prepared for him and he was just reading it from a page.
There were even certain parts that were capitalized and crossed out on the paper.
To say people were confused would be an understatement.
@BrentWagner @BeschlossDC @PressSec @kayleighmcenany That’s sure is a BIGLY font they use with him. 🤣— Marls_Melb🇦🇺😷 (@Marls_Melb🇦🇺😷)1604627620.0
Donald Trump Jr. tweeted about the need for Trump "to go to total war". The use of that phrase sure sends a shiver… https://t.co/zvoXF703lZ— Prof Tanja Bueltmann (@Prof Tanja Bueltmann)1604625084.0
A close up of Trump’s speech shows it’s in all caps and the font is reminiscent of my junior infants reader (shout… https://t.co/TXWnZUJ9Kk— Lauren Halligan (@Lauren Halligan)1604653626.0
REWATCH THE GUT WRENCHING SPEECH TRUMP 'READ' YESTERDAY----THOSE WERE NOT TRUMPS OWN WORDS---HE WAS READING THEM???… https://t.co/c9qXLVR1fL— verna schertz (@verna schertz)1604669167.0
Trump’s speech could have been written by Putin. Lying, baselessly attacking the integrity of the US democratic pro… https://t.co/a9wOoaoc9v— Garry Kasparov (@Garry Kasparov)1604621663.0
@GlennKesslerWP @MaxBoot This was perhaps the most moronic presidential speech ever written - and it was only made… https://t.co/aODicPs5tw— James Craig (@James Craig)1604628192.0
Here it is:
Stay tuned for more updates on the latest presidential election.
@BeschlossDC @PressSec @kayleighmcenany even supplied the script. https://t.co/s1WdWiEIO9— B (@B)1604624669.0