Celebrity proposals are a thing of beauty.
First, there's the specter of two hot, wealthy individuals possibly getting together for life.
Then there's the proposal itself, which usually involves flowers, diamonds, and displays of wealth and extravagance.
Here are 15 of the most over-the-top celebrity proposals ever.
1. Joe Manganiello and Sofía Vergara
2. Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta MurgatroydIf you watch Dancing With the Stars, then you'll remember Maksim Chmerkovskiy's epic proposal to Peta Murgatroyd. During a performance of "Sway," he got down on his knees and asked her to be his wife.
3. Nick and Vanessa Lachey
3. Matthew McConaughey and Camila Alves
4. George Clooney and Amal Alamuddinexplained to Ellen,
I plotted the whole thing out. I had the ring hidden behind her. I had music playing—my Aunt Rosemary's gonna sing "Why Shouldn't I?" Everything was planned out, and I've cooked dinner. And she comes in and she's just come back from London. And she's, you know she's—usually she'll dress up and now she's like maybe we'll just order in and I go, "No, no, no, I've made dinner." I've got it all set up, timed out, and the song is coming and she gets up to go wash the dishes, which she's never done. And I'm like, "What are you doing?" and she comes back in. And finally I said, you know, "I blew out the candle and I said I think the lighter's in the box behind you." And she reaches around and she pulls out the box and I've got just the ring sitting in there, and she pulls it out, and she looks at it, and she's like, "It's a ring," like as if somebody had left it there some other time.That wasn't the end of the story, of course..
And I got down on my knee and said, "I couldn't imagine spending the rest of my life without you." And she kept looking at the ring and she was looking at me and she was like, "Oh my God." And we now know because there was a playlist so we know how long it actually took, and it was like 25 minutes. Finally I literally said, "Look, I hope the answer's yes, but I need an answer 'cause I'm 52 and I could throw out my hip pretty soon." And she said "Oh, yes," and it worked out really well.
5. Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka
6. Ciara and Russell Wilson
7. Taylor Kinney and Lady Gaga
8. Tara Lipinski and Todd Kapostas
9. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle pose in candid engagement photos: https://t.co/hPckOwq4um https://t.co/Qb843Ljhua— World News Tonight (@World News Tonight)1513992259.0
10. Dwayne Wade and Gabrielle Union
11. Eva Longoria and José Bastón
12. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West
13. John Stamos and Caitlin McHugh
14. Gisele Bündchen and Tom Brady
15. Corbin Bleu and Sasha Clements
16. Miles Teller and Keleigh Perry
17. Emmy Rossum & Sam Esmail
[...] one weekend we didn’t read it — I don’t remember why exactly — and the following Friday he reminded me that we hadn’t. I was actually in kind of a bad mood that day, so I said, ‘Oh, well I’ll read it eventually.’ And he said, ‘No, no, no, I think you should read it.’ And I said, ‘I’m having a back spasm. I’m actually going to take a bath and have a glass of wine, but if you really want to hear it I’ll read it to you from the bathtub. So I got in the bathtub with the ‘Modern Love’ section as he’s posted up on the sink. I didn’t notice any kind of ring in his pocket, and I began to read the article, and the story is about a director who falls in love with an actress, and I started to think: Huh, that’s strange. And then I realized that it was our love story... And then by the time I finished the story he was down on a knee in the bathroom, with me in the tub.Aww...