There's more than just one reason why Dolly Parton was, is, and will always be a national treasure. But many don't know about the tragedies that have plagued her behind the scenes ...
Dolly Parton has always been considered America's sweetheart.It's no secret that we absolutely adore her.
It's one thing that we can all actually agree on.
Taking a moment to send some love to Dolly Parton. ✊🏾— Charles Booker (@Charles Booker)1597523813.0
There's no denying her power.Born in Locust Ridge, she was the fourth child of a whopping twelve.
The country singer made a career from her "rags-to-rhinestones" story.She has credited a lot of her family members for helping mold her musicality, but particularly Uncle Bill Owens for getting her foot in the door of the industry.
Her talent didn't go unnoticed.After landing a coveted spot on The Porter Wagoner Show, she saw her name in lights very quickly.
And with songs like "Jolene" and "Love Is Like A Butterfly," she became an icon in the world of country singers.In 1975 and '76, the Country Music Association awarded her with Female Country Singer of the Year and during this time, she was also working on moving into the pop market in order to further her career.
And the song “Here You Come Again" really helped her do that.It won a Grammy Award and in the following years, she tucked a couple more of the prestigious accolades under her belt.
Probably one of her most famous songs, "9 to 5" catapulted her to global stardom.Her iconic country glam style was recognized all over the world and her distinct million-dollar smile granted her with millions of fans.
As well as being a musician, she also dabbled in the world of film.In the '80s, Dolly made appearances in films such as Nine to Five, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and Steel Magnolias.
It's safe to say that Dolly Parton is a living legend.And she's proven her status over and over again. Here are some of her most iconic moments throughout her career.
10. The 2017 Emmys joke.Do you remember when she reunited with her 9-5 co-stars? Of course you do, because it's the same day she made that hilarious vibrator joke on stage.
Dolly congratulated Grace and Frankie for their nomination, and then added this:"I just hope I'm going to get one of those Grace and Frankie vibrators in my swag bag tonight." And everyone had the same shocked but amused look on their face. It was pretty funny, to say the least.
9. Her Black Lives Matter stance.Now, over the past few months, we've heard celebrities speaking out against the treatment of Black people in society, but Dolly Parton took hers to a whole other level.
Apparently, some people found it so "offensive" that it led to a Dolly boycott.This is what she said when the interviewer at Billboard asked her for her opinion on the social movement: "Of course Black lives matter. Do we think our little white asses are the only ones that matter? No!"
At least 50% of her fan base was left annoyed...But Dolly knows what's up and we love her for it.
8. When she called out the sexism she faced when she was starting out in the industry.Dolly's appearance is iconic, right? But that doesn't mean it didn't attract a lot of negative attention for the way she looked.
And as she got more confident with her look, she felt the need to call some people out.In multiple interviews, she has talked about being defined by her makeup or her cosmetic surgeries, saying this: "I'd like to think I have a brain beneath this wig and a heart beneath the boobs."
But one particular interview stood out:Sitting down with Reese Witherspoon, the country singer expressed her true thoughts on the matter saying "don't let these false eyelashes lead you to believe that I'm as phony as I look - Because I run true and deep." She's the ultimate bad b****.
7. When she talked about her fans dressing up as her.The New York Times asked Dolly if she liked seeing her fans turn up to her concerts dressed up as her and her response was nothing short of heartwarming.
She said this:"When I do 'Jolene' and I see a bunch of drag queens out there, I start singing 'Drag Queen, Drag Queen, please don't take my man!' I have a huge gay following and I'm proud of them. Sometimes, some of them look more like me than I do."
6. When she lost an Oscar to Three 6 Mafia.Back in 2006, the Oscar for Best Original Song seemed like it was going to be an easy win for Dolly, but the hip-hop group Three 6 Mafia (who also became the first-ever hip-hop group to win the award) came through shocking everyone.
But Dolly wasn't bitter, she looked genuinely happy for them.This is the content we're living for.
5. When she founded her reading program.The country singer is not just concerned with her own career, as she has been involved in numerous charities to aid children and their own educational ventures.
The Dolly Parton's Imagination Library was started all the way back in 1990.It aims to provide children with free books from the day they're born until they are 5 years old and since it was started, Dolly's sent over 141 million books to children around the world. Wow.
4. Her sense of humor.
Or real life. Remember when she cracked this joke?While filming on the set of 9 to 5, in between takes, she asked Jane Fonda, "Do you know what's green and smells like Miss Piggy?"
3. When she donated $1 million to fund coronavirus research.Dolly made sure she did her bit to help us all throughout the pandemic, donating a whopping million dollars to Vanderbilt University Medical Center to help with scientific research into the virus.
2. When she exposed her husband.While being interviewed for The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Dolly revealed that her husband was more excited about the fact that she was going to be working with Jennifer Aniston than she was because he had a massive crush on her. I mean, who doesn't?
But it seems as though his love goes beyond just a little crush...On the show, Dolly told Jimmy that she thinks he "fantasizes about having a threesome with us," leaving the host scandalized.
She then added:"He can't even get it out to pee, much less get it up for three." And that sends Jimmy off his chair and straight onto the floor laughing. She just likes to keep things real with us.
1. When she denied Elvis Presley half the rights to her song.She told us that Elvis really wanted to record "I Will Always Love You" but he also asked for half the publishing rights.
But Dolly wasn't up for that because she wanted to leave the full rights to her family.So she rejected the collaboration in order to honor her morals. And then when Whitney Houston recorded the award-winning track, she knew she had made "the best decision."
So there we have it guys, Dolly Parton was, is, and always will be America's national treasure.But did you know of all of Dolly's struggles behind the scenes?
Whenever I get really sad I read this book I have that’s partly a biography on Dolly Parton and partly life lessons… https://t.co/vIplJ85NyY— angelina♡ (@angelina♡)1591968887.0
I just heard Dolly Parton sing about how sad she was and I laughed at myself because for a moment I had the urge to… https://t.co/xAdqrRqA6Z— J.A. Miraj (@J.A. Miraj)1602563434.0
sometimes when i’m really sad i have to remind myself that i haven’t met dolly parton yet so i have no choice but to keep going— anna (@anna)1601342040.0
Dolly Parton is sad, therefore I am sad.— Daddy (@Daddy)1584806227.0
@The_Evil_Barbie @DollyParton Jolene - heartbreakingly sad ☹️— Andy Poole (@Andy Poole)1604903317.0
Dolly Parton's song Letter To Heaven is everything a Country & Western ballad should be. Depressing, tragic and utterly hilarious.— sixthformpoet (@sixthformpoet)1300283801.0
I just found out that Dolly Parton has been married over 50 years and no one has ever seen her with her husband bec… https://t.co/zvFfB3tMsT— 𝕰𝖒𝖇𝖊𝖗 | 𝕾𝖜𝖆𝖙𝖈𝖍 𝕼𝖚𝖊𝖊𝖓 (@𝕰𝖒𝖇𝖊𝖗 | 𝕾𝖜𝖆𝖙𝖈𝖍 𝕼𝖚𝖊𝖊𝖓)1602861375.0