The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are one of the most high profile couples in the world. But it seems that the pair, especially Meghan, have been feeling the emotional strain of being in the public eye.
Yesterday, the royal couple announced some groundbreaking news – that they are stepping away from the Royal Family. There have been some shocking claims made about how Meghan and Harry went about their controversial decision. Now, Buckingham Palace has officially responded to the announcement…
Since she started dating Prince Harry back in 2016, the world has become completely obsessed with the former actress.
Meghan became the Duchess of Sussex, making her the first American, divorced, and black woman to join the royal family.
Since the wedding, Meghan has taken part in many royal tours, and visits all around the world. Having her first child, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, hasn’t stopped her from fulfilling her duties.
Her beautiful looks and elegant demeanor captured hearts all around the world, and her work for feminism and women’s charities has set an excellent example within the Royal Family.
Meghan was quickly criticized upon her entrance into the royal family, and not all complaints were because she “wasn’t royal enough.”
A family feud with her father, Thomas Markle, was quickly made very public and, when he didn’t attend the wedding, the heat was turned onto Meghan.
Thomas Markle made claims back in 2018 on British television breakfast show, Good Morning Britain, that Meghan had simply “ghosted” him, and he said: “I’ve still never met my son-in-law. Why couldn’t Prince Harry have got on a plane and flown to see me to ask for her hand?”
Sources said that “it’s a terribly sad situation but Meghan has made the very difficult decision that she doesn’t have an active relationship with her father anymore.”
“It’s obviously heartbreaking for her but she has to protect herself, her husband and her son.”
Reports came through that Meghan was extremely high-maintenance in the palace and servers who worked for her had reportedly even quit their jobs due to her behavior.
Of course, none of these reports are reliable, but they certainly made their way through newspapers around the world.
It was reported that Meghan left Kate “in tears” after a strict bridesmaid fitting for Princess Charlotte.
But, despite many claims that the sisters-in-law are actually very close, tabloids in both the U.K and the U.S. like to state otherwise, saying that Kate is “fed up” of Meghan’s high-maintenance attitude.
Amid current conversations about climate change, many people have noticed that the couple often use a private jet to fly from one part of England to the other, an extremely wasteful method of travel that will ultimately damage the environment.
But, of course, Meghan was the one who faced most of the heat for this.
The couple also recently made £2.4 million refurbishments to their Windsor home, Frogmore Cottage, which British taxpayers were not happy about – this was obviously all Meghan’s fault too *eye roll*.
She was repeatedly mom-shamed after paparazzi snaps emerged of her awkwardly holding baby Archie – a struggle that any new mom can totally relate to.
Shaming a new parent is completely uncalled for, and this made it very obvious that the press were desperate to stir hate.
Meghan’s eventful life is something that the papers simply love to pick apart…
And it seems that British tabloid paper, The Mail on Sunday, took things a step too far by publishing an intimate and private letter that Meghan wrote to her father earlier this year.
This decision came as Prince Harry made a highly personal attack on the British tabloid press over the treatment of his wife, saying that he could “no longer be a silent witness to her private suffering.”
It was taken very seriously…
In a statement on the Sussex’s official website, Harry announced that he will be going after the publishers of the Daily Mail for the misuse of private information, infringement of copyright, and the breach of the Data Protection Act 2018.
“As a couple, we believe in media freedom and objective, truthful reporting. We regard it as a cornerstone of democracy and in the current state of the world – on every level – we have never needed responsible media more,” he wrote.
“Unfortunately, my wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences – a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son.”
…something that these select media outlets have been aware of and have therefore exploited on a daily and sometimes hourly basis.”
He went on to say: “It is for this reason we are taking legal action, a process that has been many months in the making. The positive coverage of the past week from these same publications exposes the double standards of this specific press pack that has vilified her almost daily for the past nine months; they have been able to create lie after lie at her expense simply because she has not been visible while on maternity leave. She is the same woman she was a year ago on our wedding day, just as she is the same woman you’ve seen on this Africa tour.”
The Duchess was speaking as part of an ITV documentary.
When asked how long she can manage the constant onslaught of attention, lack of privacy and ongoing tabloid rumors, Meghan revealed she just takes “each day as it comes,” adding, “I think the grass is always greener. You have no idea. It’s really hard to understand what it’s like. I know what it seems like it should be, but it’s a very different thing,” People reports.
“I really tried to adopt this British sensibility of a ‘stiff upper lip.’ I really tried, but I think that what that does internally is probably really damaging,” she explained.
And that an element of scrutiny is to be expected – but only to a certain level.
“I never thought that this would be easy, but I thought it would be fair. And that’s the part that’s really hard to reconcile,” she said.
“If things were fair … If I’d done something wrong, I’d be the first one to go ‘Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry. I would never do that,’ ” she added. “But when people are saying things that are just untrue and they are being told they’re untrue but they’re allowed to still say them — I don’t know anybody in the world who would feel like that’s okay.”
When asked if it “would be fair” to say that she’s “not really okay, as in it’s really been a struggle,” Meghan responded, “Yes.”
“It’s okay,” she said. “The good thing is that I’ve got my baby and I’ve got my husband and they’re the best.”
Meghan even thanked the presenter for asking how she is coping, saying: “Not many people have asked if I’m OK.”
The clip quickly circulated Twitter, with people flocking to support Meghan and slam those who have continually been throwing her abuse.
They planned the 6-week-break from royal duties over the festive period.
But their latest move is their most shocking and controversial yet. Keep scrolling to learn more and how the palace has responded…
It was previously announced that Meghan, Harry, and baby Archie would be spending Christmas with Meghan’s mother, Doria, and therefore wouldn’t be attending Christmas at Sandringham with the Queen and Royal Family.
Yesterday, the royal couple announced via their joint Instagram page that they were stepping down as senior members of the royal family.
“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen,” the post read.
“We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.
“This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity.”
This is a huge deal.
Their move is bound to shake things up.
“We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties.”
Some were outraged, claiming that Meghan and Harry shouldn’t be able to rely on the taxpayer while they becoming finically independent.
Now, some more shocking details have emerged. Keep scrolling to learn more…
The reactions have been strong, to say the least.
According to the BBC, no other senior members of the Royal Family were consulted – including the Queen – and Buckingham Palace is “disappointed.”
The report also claims that senior royals are said to be “hurt” by the controversial announcement.
The Palace released the statement yesterday…
“Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage,” the statement read.
“We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
But they seem to be more than happy with their decision.
Meghan and Harry recently were accused of photoshopping their Christmas card. Keep scrolling for the full story…