Tiger Woods Was Unaware of How 'Gravely' He Was Injured | 22 Words

An officer that responded to Tiger Woods' crash has spoken out on just how bad the golfer's state was when the emergency services arrived at the scene.

Read on for all the details...

Since the harrowing ordeal, people have been sending in their messages of well-wishes and hope.

Now, we all know Tiger Woods as one of the greatest golf players of all time...


And alongside ranking second in the men's major championships and holding numerous golf records, Woods is highly regarded as one of the greatest athletes of all time.

Of course, the golfer is never far away from controversy...

And has been embroiled in shocking infidelity and DUI scandals over the years.

But regardless of these incidents...


Woods remains to be a highly respected name and has earned numerous awards and honorees throughout his career, with the most recent being the Presidential Medal of Freedom which was granted to him by the former president, Donald Trump, in 2019.

The golfing pro is a very much loved figure globally...

Which is what makes this week's news all the more shocking.

The forty-five-year-old was involved in a car crash yesterday morning on February 23rd.

The Daily Mail reported that he was driving near Rancho Palos Verdes in Los Angeles when his vehicle flipped over at around 7.12 am.

He appeared to have then careered off the road uphill, landing on a grassy verge.


It was reported that to get Woods out of the wreckage, firefighters used a device known as the "jaws of life" to break open the car.

His agent, Mark Steinberg, released a short statement to Golf Digest:

"Tiger Woods was in a single-car accident this morning in California where he suffered multiple leg injuries. He is currently in surgery and we thank you for your privacy and support."

Shocking images soon emerged of the car wreckage...

And it was quickly confirmed that nobody else was involved in the accident.

Woods' vehicle, a 2021 mid-size SUV bearing the logo of his Genesis Invitational tournament, traveled "several hundred feet from the center divider" and sustained "major damage."


"The front end was totally destroyed, bumpers destroyed, airbags deployed – thankfully the interior was more or less intact, which gave him the cushion to survive what would otherwise have been a fatal crash," Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said.

This means that the golfer is very lucky to be alive.

Woods immediately went into surgery at Harbor UCLA Medical Centre...

Where he immediately underwent emergency surgery.

A statement has since been released...

"As previously communicated, Tiger was involved in a single-car accident early this morning in California. He has undergone a long surgical procedure on his lower right leg and ankle after being brought to the hospital," the statement explained.

"He is currently awake, responsive, and recovering in his hospital room."

Woods' doctors gave an insight into the severity of his injuries.


As reported by TMZ, doctors have confirmed that the sportsman has suffered comminuted open fractures in his right leg - meaning the bone was shattered in at least 2 places and broken through the skin.

Dr. Anish Mahajan, the Chief Medical Officer at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, said this:


"Mr. Woods suffered significant orthopedic injuries to his right lower extremity that were treated during emergency surgery by Orthopaedic trauma specialists."

He then explained that Woods' injuries were stabilized by rods, screws, and pins.


"Comminuted open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula bones were stabilized by inserting a rod into the tibia."

The injuries to his right ankle and foot were stabilized "with a combination of screws and pins."

And it seems as though Woods was not initially aware of just how bad his injuries were...​


According to Carlos Gonzalez, a deputy from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, the pro golfer had no idea just how bad the extent of his injuries were, he told NBC News.

Gonzalez was asked what Woods said at the time and he replied:


"He didn't mention anything. I don't think he was aware of how gravely he was injured at the time."

He continued:


"It could be a mixture of adrenaline. It could have been shock. Again, it was very quick - the moment I arrived from the moment he rolled over - so I don't know if he had time to fully assess his injuries."

He also added that when he first arrived on the scene, minutes after the 911 call, he was surprised to see Woods lying there.


​"He looked at me and he said, 'Tiger'," Gonzalez replied. "It took me a half-second, but I saw his face and I thought, oh yeah, you're Tiger Woods..."

He was then asked if Woods was saying anything else but the officer replied:


"He wasn't. I saw his eyes, because it was dark in there, and my first role as a first responder is to assess the passenger, the occupants of the vehicle, and I want to keep them calm as well."

We wish Tiger Woods a speedy recovery.


Make sure to stay posted for further updates.