In recent years, there has been a bizarre trend for online challenges. Remember the Tide Pod challenge? The company ended up having to speak out against the trend, as a worrying number of people decided to film themselves eating these highly dangerous (and undoubtedly disgusting) laundry detergent capsules.
It's clear that these challenges aren't for the weak-hearted. But one that has recently taken the internet by storm looks potentially even more hazardous than the rest - and it's reportedly claimed the lives of two in Italy already.
If there's one thing the internet loves, it's a challenge.
via: ShutterstockThe idea of setting a task that few can complete (but many will enjoy watching) is something fairly unique to the online community.
And there's one area wherein these challenges typically manifest.That's in the world of millennials.
A fairly early option was the cinnamon challenge.In this feat, participants had to attempt to swallow a teaspoon of the potent spice without any water.
To be fair, this one was pretty funny.The challenge was essentially impossible, and so it was basically an excuse to watch people choking and coughing out plumes of powder.
But some challenges have been a little more problematic.At the beginning of 2019, something called the "Tide Pod Challenge" started creeping up online.
It all started when people noticed something strange.
@Kevintronlol @caradelevigene @RobGronkowski Tide Pods are laundry detergent. They are made to clean clothes and nothing else.— Tide (@Tide)1516848131.0
There was something about the appearance of these laundry detergent pods which many people found gave them an odd compulsion to consume them.
Many people admitted they shared the fantasy.It became a meme, sort of playing on our weird compulsions. But then some took it a step further.
Many began sharing viral videos of them eating the pods.The problem? These detergent filled pouches were extremely dangerous for human consumption - even as a joke.
In fact, things (kind of) got serious.
What should Tide PODs be used for? DOING LAUNDRY. Nothing else. Eating a Tide POD is a BAD IDEA, and we asked our… https://t.co/X0QqVnvJCX— Tide (@Tide)1515795314.0
So it's clear these challenges aren't all fun and games.In fact, when serious health issues could be the result, perhaps it's best sticking to eating things purely for sustenance and enjoyment?
Although you can't convince everyone.There are many people out there vying for internet attention, and who will go to pretty bizarre lengths to get it.
Even if that means hurting others in the process.
via: YouTubeRemember the "skull breaker challenge?"
Yep - it was as treacherous as it sounds!
via: YouTubeAnd it involved kicking inwards at an unsuspecting person as they jump up in the air so they fall onto the back of their heads.
This seemed to be the start of TikTok's most dangerous challenges.
via: YouTubeThe trend originally started in Spain, where 2 students filmed themselves doing this "harmless" prank to another student. But since then, things have taken a cruel turn.
And this isn't the only TikTok challenge to land teens in the emergency room.
via: Getty Images
It was quickly followed by the uber dangerous "Benadryl challenge."
The challenge in question?
via: Getty ImagesIt involves taking an inordinate amount of the allergy medication, Benadryl.
Why, you may ask?
via: PixabayWell, it can supposedly cause hallucinations, which teens find funny when captured on film.
14-year-old Rebekah was hospitalized after attempting the challenge.
via: TikTokShe had a heightened heart rate and was speaking in fractured sentences.
A nurse practitioner at Cook Children’s Medical Center commented on the influx of teens.
via: TikTok"What struck me was that we had 3 teens come in for the same thing in one week. None of these patients were trying to harm themselves. They all said they saw videos on TikTok and were curious to try it," Amber Jewison shared.
The AAPCC issued a warning.
A TikTok Benadryl challenge has caused some teens to overdose. #Preventpoison by calling your local poison center a… https://t.co/E7VWutlbM9— AAPCC (@AAPCC)1595941201.0
But now another horrific challenge is doing the rounds on TikTok.
The "Blackout challenge" might just be the worst yet.
A young girl has reportedly died in Palermo, Italy, following an attempt.
The challenge involved deliberately asphixiating oneself in order to achieve a high.
"TikTok was her world. And YouTube. That's how she spent her time," the girl's father Angelo Sicomero said.
And now prosecutors have stepped in.
"The watchdog decided to intervene as a matter of urgency following the terrible case of the 10-year-old girl from Palermo," a source shared.
They're investigating whether someone on the app encouraged the teen to take part in the challenge.
According to reports a 9-year-old boy has also died attempting the challenge.
The boy was allegedly found dead in his family home earlier this week.
TikTok has attempted to ban children under thirteen from the app, but many are claiming they aren't doing enough to prevent young and vulnerable users from seeing such dangerous challenges.
In today's world, it's becoming more and more difficult to protect children from the dangerous online world.