Mold. We have all seen it before. It festers in our bathrooms and basements, wherever water + moisture mix.

We also know that mold is not good for us and more and more, stories are making their way into the news with how this nasty fungus can really harm our health.

Notably, one woman shared her story on the Love What Matters site to spread the word about how her husband had been battling infections with no known reason why. It left his doctors baffled until recently when she was told to go home and examine his water bottle.

Turns out, this dirty fungus made it's home in the seal of his Yeti cup. His wife claims she had no idea the seals were even removable. But when she did remove it, she made a gross discovery.

Always check your reusable cups!

This is not limited to the Yeti brand cup. You should also check your kids' sippy cups. Those get pretty nasty and mold can easily grow in the crevices.

Doctors have been noticing patients getting unexplainable infections.

via: Shutterstock

If you've recently had an infection and were put on antibiotics that didn't help any — check your bottles for mold!

Sometimes lids and seals don't seem removable.

via: Shutterstock

But, that's not always the case. Almost all bottles that have a lid have a removable seal.

Even if it seems you might break the cup by removing the seal... put some muscle into it and get that plastic off!

As Veronica Lucas stated on the site, "We attempted to remove the seals from the first couple of cups we bought. They were so snug that we honestly thought they would break if we forced it. So, we assumed they were permanently attached. Our cups never came with instructions."

After this story broke, Veronica Lucas was contacted by others with the same concern.

And some had also been battling infections with no underlying reason.

She had even put the cups in the dishwasher.

via: Shutterstock

Or washed by hand every single day. It didn't matter!

Go check your cups now!

via: Shutterstock

Learn from this couple. Check all your drinkware — and especially if it has a lid.

And moms, we know you are already uber busy, but...

via: Shutterstock

Sippy cups are definitely a place where mold can grow. You need to dissect your kids' sippy cups every night and wash, wash, wash.

It is a tedious task, no doubt.

But it's not worth the health implications mold can bring.

Some people are more sensitive to mold than others.

via: Shutterstock

According to the CDC, "molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation."

And if you have a mold allergy, your symptoms will be more severe.

via: Shutterstock

Also, "Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold."

Mold is everywhere in our environment; both indoors and outdoors.

via: Shutterstock

Indoors it can grow on wallpaper, carpet, and basements to name a few. Outside, it is found in grass and wooded areas. Just think of the mold that grows on your deck in your backyard!

You can control mold from growing inside your reusable drinkware, and you can also control it from growing in your home.

via: Shutterstock

You do have to be vigilant about this. For example, if you ever get water in your basement, it is imperative you clean it up right away.

You should also control the humidity level in your home.

And have proper ventilation when cooking and taking a shower. And always wipe the shower down afterward.

If you do find mold in your home, do not fret.

via: Shutterstock

Most mold growth can often be removed from your surfaces with cleaners and even good old fashioned soap + water, except for black mold — leave that type alone.

Do you know what mold looks like?

Look for spots! Mold can take on various colors (usually black, brown, green, pink, white, orange) and often has a musty odor.

Pink mold is commonly found in bathrooms.

via: Shutterstock

Check your showerheads and the tiles in your bathroom. There is a lot of moisture in this room of the house, so pay special attention to it.

Children are more susceptible to mold due to their still-developing lungs.

via: Shutterstock

And can develop asthma due to mold exposure.

It could even be lurking in your home without you visibly seeing it.

You can purchase mold testing kits at your local hardware store or hire a professional mold tester to test your home.

There are three types of mold to test for.

via: Shutterstock

  1. Air testing
  2. Surface testing
  3. Bulk testing

Black mold is the most harmful to your health.

via: Shutterstock

Black mold is a neurotoxin. The reaction to it could cause tremors, mood swings, and other neurological shifts.

Black mold can also suppress your immune system.

via: Shutterstock

"When you breathe in black mold spores, your immune system is weakened, so on top of being sick from the mold, you can also become more easily ill from germs."

You can die from being exposed to black mold for too long.

"Black mold spores can shut down your organs, incapacitate your immune system, and damage your brain—resulting in death." YIKES!!

Pregnant women are also at risk when it comes to exposure to black mold.

via: Shutterstock

Pregnant women can suffer from miscarriages and their babies can be born with birth defects. If you're pregnant, it's important to get your home tested for mold.

All living things can be harmed by this type of mold.

via: Shutterstock

Including your pets! So don't take the chance.

The one good thing about this type of mold is that it does have that musty odor.

And the mold itself isn't toxic — just the "spores" it emits are. So touching it won't necessarily harm you. But just don't!

If you do find black mold in your home, LEAVE IT ALONE.

"Never try to remove toxic black mold on your own. Disturbing toxic black mold can make it release huge amounts of spores and mycotoxins throughout your home."

Black mold takes longer to grow.

"While most molds take just one or two days to colonize, toxic black mold usually needs eight to twelve days." Think about anything that has suffered serious water damage in your home.

When it comes to the health of you and your loved ones, you can never be too safe.

via: Shutterstock

So take all preventive steps to ensure you keep mold at bay, like changing your shower liner, using dehumidifiers, fans, and open windows to help reduce the moisture in your home.

And don't forget about your coffee tumblers.

If you have to — just buy new ones, preferably ones without a seal.