We're in search of...
Writers and Viral Content Curators at 22 Words
People who will...
Imagine and create carefully crafted, potentially viral superstories every day to make the internet laugh, cry, and...click Like.
Thanks for your interest in this writing position at 22 Words. We're a thriving viral site, but in order to meet demand we need more great minds and pens contributing content. Or, if that sounds too high-minded, we need more people to read the internet all day and write up kickass stories for money.
Expectations and Requirements
You are a good writer.
You have a clear, casual, punchy writing style that will win the internet’s fickle heart with little to no editing required.
You confidently use the right grammar and spelling for a given situation without a hint of pedantry. (If you care whether people use “whom” correctly this isn’t the gig for you. You should probably go be “correct” in another job.)
You understand that exclamation points are to be used with caution.
You are familiar with the viral web as a genre.
- You understand that this is a strategy and numbers game. (For better or worse, quality in this genre is determined by views… But you already knew that.)
- You can consistently write irresistible titles without being embarrassingly hyperbolic or cloying.
- You know what “cloying” means. (Just kidding. But, seriously — it’s a good word.)
- You have the uncanny urge when you see a good story to turn it into an ultra-compelling blog post.
- You know how to format an ultra-compelling blog post.
You are technologically adept.
You are familiar on at least a basic level with Wordpress, HTML, a photo editor of some variety, and right-clicking to open new tabs until your browser begs for mercy.
No matter how annoying it becomes, you never stop asking Is this clickable? and Is this shareable? When the answer is No, you rewrite or leave the idea behind.
You work fast.
We're not going to expound on this one. There's no time.
You work well alone.
You shudder at the notion of an “open work environment.” In fact, you prefer working remotely in a space of your choosing and Skyping with your co-workers as needed. They’re cool, but you’ve got too much Redditing to do to waste time talking.
You can take and give criticism like a well-adjusted, self-confident adult. We’re nice, but we shoot straight. We’re assuming that describes you, too.
You're experienced...or are you?
You tell us. What have you done that would make you a perfect contributor at 22 Words?
We imagine the best applicants will have experience as bloggers for other viral sites, but that isn’t exactly necessary. If you think you’ve got what we’re looking for, we want to hear from you.
Location and Compensation
This position is remote. If you have fast internet and nobody bothering you, it's a good enough office as far as we're concerned.
Writing positions at 22 Words can be either freelance, part-time, or full-time, depending on the applicant's situation.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and qualifications, as they say. We want working for 22 Words to be a step up in your career.
How to Apply
- Write a list of 15 kickass blog post titles. (These can either be invented for this application or from posts you’ve published elsewhere.)
- Write one complete post for a title on your list. (If you have previously published posts that will prove you’re a viral genius, links to a few of these will suffice here.)
- Write a “viral” post telling us why you’d be awesome at this job. You know you, so tell us what we need to hear.
- Or...if you think that’s a stupid way to apply for a job, do it your own way. Impress us.
Please email your application to email@example.com with "Writer and Viral Content Curator" in the subject. We look forward to hearing from you.