Cocktail Recipes for Beginners: How to Make Delicious Drinks
If you’re new to making cocktails, the process can seem a bit daunting. But don’t worry! With a little practice, you’ll be whipping up delicious drinks in no time.
BASIC INGREDIENTS FOR COCKTAILS
Cocktails are composed of liquor, mixers, and garnishes. The liquor is the alcoholic base of the drink, mixers are non-alcoholic beverages used to dilute and flavor the drink, and garnishes are used to decorate and flavor the drink.
Liquor: The liquor is the alcoholic base of the cocktail. It is what gives the drink its alcoholic content. Common types of liquor used in cocktails include vodka, gin, rum, tequila, and whiskey.
Mixers: Mixers are non-alcoholic beverages used to dilute and flavor the cocktail. Common mixers include juices, sodas, and syrups.
Garnishes: Garnishes are used to decorate and flavor the cocktail. Common garnishes include fruit, herbs, and spices.
SUPPLIES YOU’LL NEED
Assuming you don’t have a fully stocked bar at home, you’ll need to pick up a few key tools before you get started making cocktails. Here’s what you’ll need:
- A cocktail shaker: This is probably the most essential piece of equipment for making cocktails. A cocktail shaker is a two-part container that you can use to mix ingredients together and then strain them into a glass.
- A jigger: A jigger is a small measuring tool that is used to measure out precise amounts of liquor. This is important because cocktails are all about achieving the right balance of flavors.
- A strainer: A strainer is used to strain mixed ingredients from the cocktail shaker into the glass. This is important for making sure that your cocktail is smooth and not cloudy.
- Ice: Ice is obviously a key ingredient in any cocktail. You’ll need to make sure that you have plenty of ice on hand before you start mixology.
- Glasses: Cocktails are typically served in either a highball glass or a martini glass. You’ll need to make sure you have the appropriate glassware on hand before you start making drinks.
You can also get a bartending kit to have all your supplies together in one set!
EASY COCKTAIL RECIPES TO GET STARTED
If you’re new to making cocktails, it’s important to start with recipes that are easy to follow and don’t require too many ingredients. Here are a few of our favorite easy cocktail recipes to get you started:
The Classic Gin and Tonic
- 1 part gin
- 3 parts tonic water
- 1 lime
Fill a glass with ice and add the gin. Top up with tonic water and stir. Squeeze in the lime and enjoy!
The Vodka Martini
- 1.5 parts vodka
- 0.5 part vermouth
- 1 olive
Fill a shaker with ice and add the vodka and vermouth. Shake well and strain into a glass. Garnish with an olive and enjoy!
- 2 parts rum
- 1 part lime juice
- 1 part simple syrup
Fill a shaker with ice and add the rum, lime juice, and simple syrup. Shake well and strain into a glass. Enjoy!
TIPS FOR MAKING GREAT COCKTAILS
There are a few tips to remember when making cocktails that will help you make delicious drinks every time.
First, use fresh ingredients. This means using real fruit juices, not concentrate, and fresh herbs whenever possible. Using fresh ingredients will make a big difference in the flavor of your cocktails.
Second, don’t be afraid to experiment. Try different combinations of ingredients to find flavors you love. Be sure to write what you use so you can replicate your successes (and learn from your failures).
Third, take your time. Good cocktails take a bit of time to make, so don’t be in a hurry. Relax and enjoy the process.
Making great cocktails is easy if you follow these simple tips. Use fresh ingredients, experiment with different flavor combinations, and take your time. Soon you’ll be making delicious drinks that will impress your friends and family. Cheers!